Thinner picks are better?

abt

BT
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Quiet a while ago someone from a pretty big band was telling me how he had played a show in a cover band. For the show he used a thinner standard shape Dunlop pick and was really surprised at the sound and power it produced. He then went on to tell me that another player in another pretty big band plays with really thin picks. I was surprised.

Anyway, I'd pretty much forgotten all about it until recently when I watched the Andrew Wade creative live session. If you haven't watched it, it's really good. He talks about using about a 0.6mm Dunlop pick and how he feels that if the pick is too thick and rounded it starts to sound less aggressive and less clear.

So, I though I'd give it a go. Keep in mind I'm talking strictly heavy rhythm parts here, not leads or other types of playing.

At first I found it difficult to play but then I sharpened the tip a bit and it was way better.

They don't last long, the tip wears out and they're dead. At first your arm nearly falls off but you get used to it quickly.

I thought the pick attack would be worse but it's not, it's about the same. If anything the pick attack on say a Jazz III sounds thuddy and comparatively louder. What comes after the pick attack is much brighter and clearer. You can even see it in the wave form. I seem to play better, which is weird because I've never ever used a pick thinner than 1mm. This could be a factor that over rules all others. In a nutshell I think what Andrew is saying may we'll be correct.

I remember Ola sent me some picks in one on the Feared mega deluxe ultra gift baskets I purchased, I just assumed he was using it for some clean stuff or strumming, now I wonder if he uses it for heavy stuff.

Anyway, so here I am asking you what your thoughts are on it? For the longest time all I've ever heard is about picks that are significantly heavier than that maybe I've had it all wrong.

I switched to .60mm Tortex TIIIs (Jazz III tip, not the Tortex Sharps which are just triangles) a while back and am still 100% sold on it. I know Adam from Periphery has done the same with his stuff; not sure who else is on the train but it's taking over.

The biggest benefit for me is that the tuning is more stable when you're not lugging a thick POS through the strings.

i recently switched from :

2daa93463a5f9a3d094c43f09ecabf13.jpg

to

DV016_Jpg_Large_H72002.002_.50-mm.jpg

the tonal difference is insane, the thinner pick has so much more clarity and attack and yeah i use it on bass also.
it's a bit difficult to hit the strings hard with theis but with the right technique it works really well.

the effect is even bigger on acoustic instruments!

We'll this it turning out to be more interesting than I thought. I was half expecting the Jazz III rules thread (I've opened the door now!)

@ Jeff. I'm not sold either but it's early days. So far I'm loving it. The second character that I mentioned is Misha.

@ Soul. Yeah I used to use those "pizza slice" sharps but I used to file them to be a little bit shorter an rounder.

the effect is even bigger on acoustic instruments!

Massively so.

In fact, I don't think you can get that 'pro' even and balanced sound (like on well produced pop tracks) on acoustics without thinner picks. Thick picks give too much thud on the attack and if you try and hold them lightly for strumming they still don't work right. It is most noticeable on lighter braced tops - if you pick/strum too hard on a guitar with that construction you can get a harsh sound IME, but if you back off you get a much nicer more balanced sound. A lighter plectrum just makes controlling that much easier

If you ever play/record non metal styles on electric being able to pick a bit more lightly again can yield more balanced sounds from instruments, though I still think stronger pick attacks sound best for metal guitars.

abt said:
We'll this it turning out to be more interesting than I thought. I was half expecting the Jazz III rules thread (I've opened the door now!)

I used to love Jazz IIIs for electric but when I was playing acoustic guitar for a singer a while ago I found I could not switch technique between small thick Jazz III on electric and larger thinner pick for acoustic. IME Jazz IIIs (the normal red and black ones) do not sound good for strumming acoustics. I have never tried the thinner tortex Jazz IIIs.

My solution was to find a pick range I liked for both electric and acoustic playing styles and just vary the thickness according to use. I found the dunlop nylon range, and the now improved 'Max Grip' nylons (which feel a tiny bit stiffer size for size but do grip better IMO) are my favourite. I usually use a .60 for acoustic work, unless it is mostly single note stuff in which case I'll use a .73 or rarely a.88 to get a fuller sound on the single notes and reduce the click sound that comes with picking firmly to get a louder note.

On electrics I tend to use a 1mm Max Grip Nylon for metal playing but will use a .88 or maybe .73 if strumming more than palm muting/playing leads. I pick quite hard but I use more of a 45 degree angle (angled down to the top, not sideways across the string) without too much tip for down stroked palm muting so I don't find any issue with tuning - but I caught this thread before leaving for work this morning so tried using more pick and a more straight up angle with the 1mm and yes I agree that would cause tuning issues at the weight I'd usually pick downwards. I like the thick picks for electric (if 1mm is thick) because I rely a lot on pick angle with solo notes to produce different tonality, and thinner picks just don't work the same for that IME.

Another pick shape I quite liked for electric playing was a tortex 'the wedge', but I didn't like the sound of these on acoustic. They're like a normal tortex but with a sharper tip.

0582e3f802c6b56aae9ea9609e5c38cf.jpg

Also like the Hetfield Black fang (similar shape, in Ultex) but I think there is an Ultex shape in sharp too with no Hetfield branding I've just not tried one yet.

As always YMMV/IMO, I think picking is very unique to each player and the main thing that matters is technique first. A player with poor pick control would struggle to play metal properly with thin picks because it requires greater control, you can't rely on the pick being stable through fast picked phrases you have to actually control it yourself by not using too much tip.

personally i have found that using a thinner pick has improved my playing technique (as has using less gain on my amps). i feel like thick picks and high gain can be a bit of a crutch if not used correctly.

I've gone through the pick search many times and I think I'm happy where I finally ended up.

I'm using Dunlop Max Grip Jazz III Carbon Fiber picks. The carbon fiber gives a slightly different tonal sound to the guitar than more traditional pick materials and it's very rigid as you could imagine.

I need 1mm, if they're thinner they need to be really hard for me, but I file them pretty
often to make them more pointy so that I am only hitting the string with a sharp point.
Never found picks that are hard enough for me and still not that thick.

Using Tortex III .60 and sometimes Ultex .60 for about a year and and I'm happy(used Jazz III 1.38 before), I'm really into the way the attack sounds compared to the Jazz's.

I dont like super thin or anything. But a medium pick (.60) or so is perfect. I dont mind a think pick for "picking" but i find that a thick pick kinda gets hung up on the strings a little when chugging and shit.

One thing I've found kind of interesting is that back when I used thicker picks (1.14mm Tortex JIII's/the XJJ from InTuneGP) I couldn't play worth shit on thinner picks if I switched. Now that I'm using thin picks 90% of the time, switching to a thicker pick isn't an issue and I can play equally well with any thickness of pick.