Picks of choice?

I think this is a valid question. Picks do record differently. I have used Dunlop .48 forever. I recently picked up these "cool" picks with a sandpaper like grip on them and they are .50s... nice attack, great for recording. I used to use Dava control picks (very nice), but they sound kinda dull to me, I can't find em thin enough.

The small black Jazz III's. Great for fast picking. Used to use the small 3mm stubbies. Good for rhythm playing but not so good for lead...the Jazz III's sound a lot 'cleaner'. Prefer the small picks as opposed to the regular sized ones though - find they're more accurate and comfortable to use (and they stay pointy for aaaages) :err:

Every since I read that Kirk Hammett uses the green tortex picks, way back in like '87 or something, that's all I've used.

I used to use the Jazz III (stiffo in black), now I use Cool Music's 1.5mm heavy jazz pick (slightly bigger than a Jazz III) with the textured grip on both sides.

Jazz III in black. After moving to these babies everything else just seems too big and clunky. Obviously for non-metal lead stuff there would be other picks out there that would be prefferable, but usually if I'm not playing metal, I'm using my fingers and not a pick, so it's no big issue.

Definately Jazz III for me.

I've used every pick I've every come across and am sold on the oversized Jazz IIIXL. Better grip than the normal small Jazz III which I like. I also use Dunlop 1mm nylon teardrops for recording clean passages. I used to use 1.14mm Tortex but the chirp that Tortex and Cel picks make drive me crazy.

Jazz III in black and I put holes in them for more grip or burn lines (hot needle or something like that) in them, works very well for me, especially for fast picking, but I have to say that I play 0.12-0.54 strings, with thinner strings I like thinner picks.

metalkingdom said:
Don't forget me, too!!!

Here's another one ;)
Always dug the green Tortex .88 picks, as well as those Tortex Gold (black picks that are essentially the same as these, except for the color).
Since I tend to lose them around, I sometimes find an old, very rounded pick and a friend told me that rubbing its edge against a carpet would sharpen it, without giving it a harsh edge (as opposed to sandpaper). Believe it or not - it really works! :)

GELSSTAC.gif

Those yellow ones... they're the shit

Thinking about my pick collection right now - here are some great players that use (or at least, used to) the green tortex picks:

James Murphy - I have one of the "yeah, I got all that shit toughguy" picks
Bill Steer - no edges left on it whatsoever!
Paul Masvidal (Cynic, Death)

i used to use the green tortex but i recently was turned on to the black tortex jazz picks .88 these things are the shit. they have a nice point at the end for an awesome attack. they really help for more precise tremelo picking too. problem is nobody carried them and they have to be special ordered.

I use the Jazz III's as well, I like the sound I get from the red ones, a bit sharper, but they're a little too slick and get slightly displaced on longer picking runs. The ones I really like though, are the green Dunlop Jazz picks that have the weird powder on them, but nobody around here stocks them.