Picks of choice?

Andy Sneap said:
actually, its a very valid question as it does make a difference to the tone. Try nylon v's tortex, definate better attack with the tortex. I'm a green tortex man myself.

Same here! It makes a big difference and I've done recorded passes and a/b'd the stuff and I definitely prefer the attack of tortex to anything else.

Right now I'm using green Planet Waves tortex picks (sometimes blue if I'm feeling really pissed off!) The Dunlops are good, too. Not really sure which I prefer.

If I want to soften the attack, ala Eric Johnson, Dunlop Jazz III's.....More bite, ala Gary Moore, Fender Mediums. I proved this to myself on an acoustic.....It was like, "Holy Christ, there is a difference!"

Jazz III's are great for doing really fluid lead playing. I use them fairly often for solos, when I'm not busy dropping and losing them

HA!HA!...I hear YA!. I use to play in a cover band, and we did some Stevie Ray Vaughn covers......I had to dump those JazzIII's on that stuff because I was lookin'/soundin' like the biggest asshole in the world with those things flyin' around!

I was a Jazz III man for a long time, in fact, this past month, they were what I used to track this album... however, on the last day tracking solos, I went to guitar center to pick up a pack of em, and they were out. I asked for the closest thing they had, and they gave me Big Stubby 1.0mm, the red ones. I was frustrated, but I took em anyway.

But, holy shit.

They have the attack of the Tortex (which I love, much more aggressive), and the feel of the Jazz III's (small and quick), along with this added smoothness, which allows you to play fluidly and cleaner than I've ever played! I'm totally sold, they're my new pick!

I just wish I had found em before we tracked rhythms!

Genius Gone Insane said:
Didn't realize everyone's using the Jazz IIIs...I'm trying to reduce the scratchy noise from my sound, maybe that'll help...I like how there isn't a thread on what kind of drum sticks everyone uses haha.

Vater Powerstroke 5A's and 5B's

=)

Remo Ebony Pinstripe batter heads... haha

DSS3 said:
Hey guys, just out of curiosity, which picks do you all find track the best, give the best recorded pick attack, etc. I usually use Jazz III's, but I think my .88 Tortex's sound a bit better recorded. The Jazz's sound duller and less lively.

when i use this verry small dunlop pick called chubby ? or something like that ? anyway, the shred tone sounds really different

Dunlop stubby is great but it loses its sharpness very fast, so if I could like have limitless supply of picks, I would probably using it. I also use Jazz pick III, but it can be really too small sometimes for playing riffs, and when playing live I hit strings harder so I often use those big green dunlop picks with crocodile on them(can't remember how do they call them right now).
I'm trying to reduce the scratchy noise from my sound, maybe that'll help...
He is not metal player but you should check Eric Johnson guitar video. This is technique that I have borrowed from him. When you are not playing at full speed, you should pick not only down/up but picking everytime from inside from the strings away from the body of guitar. Pick is not going thru the string when picking but it is sliding its side over the string. It is hard to explain it like this, and english is not my native language, but check his videos if you can :)
You can't play fast like that, but it gives you more round, mellow sound when playing leads.

I just recently tried the jazz III and I'm sold on the feel but I still go back and forth between those and the yellow tortex.

Started off using 1.14mm Dunlop Gators, then eventually jumped up to 1.4mm Dunlop Gators. Then I jumped up even more to 2.0mm Dunlop Gators. Switched to the Jazz III and I have been REALLY happy since then. Definitely cleaned up my sloppy picking and really forces me to stay in complete control of the pick at all times, otherwise that thing is going flying out of your hand. I switched to the 3.0mm Dunlop "Big Stubbies" for like about 2 weeks but just went back to the Jazz III's.