fingers or pick?

MetaldudeEric

New Metal Member
Jan 1, 2005
I'm not sure if this has been posted before,and excuse me if its stupid for me to ask. I was just wondering any bass players here use their fingers and/or pick and do you perfer. I use my fingers to get a thicker sound.

Yep, it's been posted before, but the thread may have disappeared.

I use both, depending on the part in the song. You'll get a tone that has more midrange with fingers. Picking the bass, you'll get more high end.

I'll use picks for more aggressive tunes when I want the bass to stick out a little more.

sumairetsu said:
Yep, it's been posted before, but the thread may have disappeared.

I use both, depending on the part in the song. You'll get a tone that has more midrange with fingers. Picking the bass, you'll get more high end.

I'll use picks for more aggressive tunes when I want the bass to stick out a little more.

I agree with the reply. If you learn both techniques then you will be a step ahead of other players who use one or the other. Finger players often rip pick players, but the truth is, each technique has advantages and disadvantages and if you can play using both techniques, you will be able to create more tones than players who use one or the other.

Bryant

I play finger, pick, slap, strum, thumb, fingernails, slam, tap, plucking above the neck, punching the horn to make the strings vibrate, hitting the headstock against the wall, with a drumstick, or any other way I can think of, depending on what mood I'm in or what the tune calls for.

Never limit yourself to one style of playing, or pretend that one technique is superior to another. Rules are for idiots. :)

I'm a finger/slap player. It's really how you want the bass to come across. If you are looking for a sharp attack then use the pick. If you want a more percussive sound then use your fingers. I have to agree that learning both styles can be really helpful.

Have to agree with Splinterhead...learn both styles. I'm a huge proponent of busting your ass and being able to play extremely fast rhythms note for note with your fingers (meaning - if the guitarist is playing 16or 32nd notes or whatever - be able to do the same with your fingers). But again - being able to do both depending on what the song or music requires will make you a much more accomplished bassist - me personally - my right-hand finger speed is pretty sick because I have worked at it for a VERY long time by playing with some fast guitarists and by playing along with Steve Harris and Cliff Burton - but I can't slap for shit - something Splinterhead is EXTREMELY proficient at. As far as picking...my picking skills need some work as far as endurance and accuracy goes.

both. i use finger for more intricate parts because i can leap around with 3 of my fingers. i use pick for tremolo stuff because im faster that way. we do both in my band, so i use both
~gR~

Never use a pick. Bass is a strumming hand oriented instrument. If your using a pick you might as well just be playing down tuned guitar riffs. The strumming hand lets you play slap bass, pop, pick the 1'st and 4'th strings at the same time, thumb brush, etc. The pick is okay to start out, and if you want to play baby metal like slipknot which is 30% open strings then I welcome you to use it. But if you want to master the instrument, you have to use fingers.

picks are for beginners! although i didnt start on a pick lol! i was given one when i bought my first bass, but rarely used it. only used it once in a gig and ended up dropping it so i had to do the rest of that song with my fingers and it stuck :).