3 new Willowtip reviews . . . one of them is a 10/10!

J. , The Dawning of Mournful Hymns is really good. You won't be let down. BUt like I said about that Bleak Vistae, it is amazing and quite transcendental. It's gonna suck you down! :kickass:

a full length should be no more than 35 min for the type of music i release. a full length is about QUALITY not quantity and more songs (i think few labels today realize this), especially for grindcore. no grindcore album should be over 30min. you won't see a grindcore/deathgrind, etc album on willowtip that is over 35min i can pretty much guarantee that... i want every track on the album to kill and for the album to be as best as it possibly can be with no filler. for arsis, they actually had 2 more tracks which made the album around 50min i think, a full length should be the very best tracks.

VP is nothing like goatsblood or watchmaker (hell, there is no band that sounds like watchmaker)...they are a grindcore band more akin to pig destroyer or even benumb whom they share members with.

thanks for the reviews and support.

Vulgar Pigeons sounds like my bag baby. Maybe Crowpath too. I'm being super-ultra-mega-selective with CD purchases lately though, might be awhile before I pick either one up.

tipton said:
a full length should be no more than 35 min for the type of music i release. a full length is about QUALITY not quantity and more songs (i think few labels today realize this), especially for grindcore. no grindcore album should be over 30min.
I must fully agree. When it's complete brutality I'm looking for, a little goes a long way and has a more lasting effect if it splits my nuts in two (therefore leaving four nutchunks remaining) and leaves me for dead long before I can scream MY NAAAAAADS!!! I only like really long albums if they are chock full of drug induced hippy moments. :dopey:

I didn't exactly mean that Vulgar Pigeons sounds like Watchmaker or Goatsblood. I just meant that the people that like the severe sound torture of bands like Watchmaker would probably be the ones that like Vulgar Pigeons. If you like Pig Destroyer, you will definitely like Vulgar Pigeons. I've actually never heard Benumb, though.

The Arsis is a brilliant album. I have been listening to that one so much that I havent given the Crowpath a lot of time and I also need to get that Vulgar Pigeons.

Holy fucking crap ... the ARSIS one, just based on those 3 mp3's on the Willowtip site is some amazing shit. Fuck me!!!! these guys sound like veterans ... amazing.

Crowpath leaves me cold ...

Crowpath probably won't appeal to the types that are into the slightly more traditional metal styles.

But I've just been waiting to hear some of your views on Arsis. That is some GOOOOOOOOOOD shit!

I think some people will overlook it just for that 1 point difference. 9/10 as opposed to the 10/10 for the Crowpath But I think your review is dead on. ARSIS doesn't even sound like an American band.
Probably the best thing I heard coming from Willowtip.

lurch70 said:
I think some people will overlook it just for that 1 point difference. 9/10 as opposed to the 10/10
That is fucked up. I would say that at RC, even a 7/10 score is still worth checking out. 6/10 being 'above average' so most people would probably be indifferent. But a 7/10 could easily be someone else's 10/10 if you know what I mean.

With that said, I used to do that a few years ago myself. I would visit Metal Rules and Metal Observer and only look at reviews with 5/5 or 10/10 ratings, and just ignore the rest. Shame on me I guess.

I think people that know me know that I would only give a 10/10 to something that only a VERY select few would enjoy as much as I would. I guess I'm just that much better than everybody else.:lol: