3 Sigma Audio IR´s

Apr 7, 2016
sorry if those have already been covered here. anybody else tried them out? what do you think? here´s my take on them:

I bought some of the Rosen Impulses and they became my standard to-go IRs since then (love the Mesa 2x12!). The IRs offered on the Sigma page seem to be modeled after the exact same cabs - how do they differ from the Rosen Impulses? Are they the exact same impulses just sold under a new name or are they new, improved, enhanced versions? Or re-modeled from scratch?

Last edited:
I was thinking the very same thing about Rosen. But they just added some new IRs a few weeks ago, so I don't think 3Sigma is Rosen.

they are a different company. The guys from 3 sigma used to be involved in Rosen but now started their own. They are not the same IRs. I have multiple IRs from both and they are different. You get 10 IRs with 3 Sigma and 3 with Rosen. The sound is also different of course. I prefer 3 Sigma actually.

Reactions: xphen0m
The sound is also different of course. I prefer 3 Sigma actually.

I just got some IRs from 3Sigma and can definitely cosign this. I bought the Engl cab impulses and I definitely prefer it compared to the few Rosen impulses that I have.

I bought a couple of their impulses and really like the Bogner Uberkab, the UK Custom and the Mesa 2x12. Don't like the Mesa Rectifier 4x12, though. It's very harsh and fizzy - the 2x12 is much better balanced. In reality the 2x12 should sound brighter than the 4x12, but with the 3SA impulses it is pretty much the opposite. Will try the Bogner 2x12 and the US Custom, too.

How would they compare (the 3 Sigmas) to the Own Hammer? I didn't really like the fact that, with Rosen Digital, you had only 3 IRs. I like to fiddle with different options. So, OwnHammer seemed like a better solution for me, but I have never tried them.

There is also Kalthallen which offer both free and paid packages, but I've not heard a lot of people use them.

So I'm pretty much lost... I like to have multiple options, so I'm interested in OwnHammer, 3 Sigma and possibly Kalthallen... but I don't really feel like buying a bunch of each. And often the offered demos are not from the cab I'm interested in buying.

How would they compare (the 3 Sigmas) to the Own Hammer? I didn't really like the fact that, with Rosen Digital, you had only 3 IRs. I like to fiddle with different options. So, OwnHammer seemed like a better solution for me, but I have never tried them.

There is also Kalthallen which offer both free and paid packages, but I've not heard a lot of people use them.

So I'm pretty much lost... I like to have multiple options, so I'm interested in OwnHammer, 3 Sigma and possibly Kalthallen... but I don't really feel like buying a bunch of each. And often the offered demos are not from the cab I'm interested in buying.

My personal favorites are Ownhammer because you get the most options and ability to customize the sound you want. It's just like having a digital version of a cab with (often) different speaker options and mics/mic placement to do what you want with (although they do have ones that have combined mics as well. They are also the most balanced sounding IRs to me. They are made using a more neutral sounding poweramp and not the poweramp section of say a 5150 which I prefer personally. 3 Sigma Audio also makes great IRs. You only get 10 IRs that are more 'mix ready'. I suppose that makes them easier to use for someone who doesn't know much about miking cabs because they come already combined with different mics/speakers and placement. The work is already done for you. They are good but I do find some of them to be a bit fizzy and/or scooped sometimes. Of course you could always try combining two (or more) of the IRs which helps. They come with both a neutral sounding solid state poweramp and also a poweramp section of a 6505(one of the versions anyways) amp. The JST Conquer All packs are also great. They come with both raw and 'mix ready' IRs. The mix ready ones aren't combined the the 3SA ones though. They are just eq'd by Joey Sturgis. They also have more options than the 3SA ones. You get separate IRs for each speaker type (if applicable) and mics. They are not made with a neutral poweramp though. They have the option for either a Marshall 6100 poweramp or a 6505 poweramp. They also have the option of either a Neve or API mic preamp which is something that is unique to them as far as I've seen. Shout out to Fat Lazy Cabs. They are also worth getting. They are more like the 3SA ones in that they have everything combined in one IR instead of having separate ones for each mic/mic placement. Another one to get if you want ones that are easier to deal with.

I hope this helps you. I've tried just about every IR out there both free and commercial and those are my personal favorites. If you can only get one then I would probably recommend Ownhammer due to the amount of options they have. You get 100s or 1000s or IRs instead of just a handful. They do come with ones that have the different mics/placement combined for you too though. They even have a 'getting started' folder that is like a 'best of' if you are overwhelmed. You can't really go wrong with any of them though.

My personal favorites are Ownhammer because you get the most options and ability to customize the sound you want. It's just like having a digital version of a cab with (often) different speaker options and mics/mic placement to do what you want with (although they do have ones that have combined mics as well. They are also the most balanced sounding IRs to me. They are made using a more neutral sounding poweramp and not the poweramp section of say a 5150 which I prefer personally. 3 Sigma Audio also makes great IRs. You only get 10 IRs that are more 'mix ready'. I suppose that makes them easier to use for someone who doesn't know much about miking cabs because they come already combined with different mics/speakers and placement. The work is already done for you. They are good but I do find some of them to be a bit fizzy and/or scooped sometimes. Of course you could always try combining two (or more) of the IRs which helps. They come with both a neutral sounding solid state poweramp and also a poweramp section of a 6505(one of the versions anyways) amp. The JST Conquer All packs are also great. They come with both raw and 'mix ready' IRs. The mix ready ones aren't combined the the 3SA ones though. They are just eq'd by Joey Sturgis. They also have more options than the 3SA ones. You get separate IRs for each speaker type (if applicable) and mics. They are not made with a neutral poweramp though. They have the option for either a Marshall 6100 poweramp or a 6505 poweramp. They also have the option of either a Neve or API mic preamp which is something that is unique to them as far as I've seen. Shout out to Fat Lazy Cabs. They are also worth getting. They are more like the 3SA ones in that they have everything combined in one IR instead of having separate ones for each mic/mic placement. Another one to get if you want ones that are easier to deal with.

I hope this helps you. I've tried just about every IR out there both free and commercial and those are my personal favorites. If you can only get one then I would probably recommend Ownhammer due to the amount of options they have. You get 100s or 1000s or IRs instead of just a handful. They do come with ones that have the different mics/placement combined for you too though. They even have a 'getting started' folder that is like a 'best of' if you are overwhelmed. You can't really go wrong with any of them though.

Thanks for the detailed answer. It does help yes.

Since my short term plan is not to be a ton of IRs, I quickly checked the Ownhammer demo yesterday. The fact that it comes with multiple options is a nice feature for me. Also, the fact that they use a "Neutral" power amp is quite interesting.

That being said, I really liked the demo and purchased a couple of cabs in the end. So thanks for suggesting them.

I'll have to check out the Fat Lazy Cabs at some point in a near future. At least try them, see what's what.

Thanks again.