4 options to improve my tone (Cab question)

Williamn

Aug 4, 2009
Ireland - Denmark
Hello, im looking to get the most out of my stuff and money.

I own a old 5150 straight cabinet with sheffield speakers.. now I have been thinking of going with one of the following options as right now im not too happy with the tone (harsh highs, sounds scratchy)

1. Keep the 5150 stock (not worth doing any of the other options)

2. buy 1 or 2 vintage 30 speakers to replace the ones in the cab already and just mic one of them up (seems the best option atm as the 5150 cab should have a decent construction, I think ?).

3. replace all 4 units with vintage 30 units (not sure if it makes a big difference as the mic will mostly just pick up the sound from one speaker)

4. Get a harley benton 4x12 cab with vintage 30 speakers

(5. any other ideas ?)¨

what would you pick ? :)

I would buy a Mesa boogie or a Engl PRO cab. The quality of the cab is crucial, even more then which speakers you have installed.
You will never achieve a great tone without a great cab

FWIW, I have an old Peavey cab loaded with 2 V30s, and it sounds just as good as any other V30 cab I have. But is it worth it? You could always sell the cab, take that money that was going to go for the speakers, and buy a better cab that's already loaded with decent speakers.

FWIW, I have an old Peavey cab loaded with 2 V30s, and it sounds just as good as any other V30 cab I have.

I doubt that man. I did a comparison between a cheap Harley Benton, engl Pro, and mesa 2x12, all loaded with vintage 30's. first of all they all sound amazingly different for having the same type of speakers loaded, but the Engl and mesa where soooo much better then the Harley.

So take my word for it and save your money and buy a Great cab later