4 RCMP Officers killed

MichiMikey said:
Also, further evidence that there should be the death penalty for cop killers.
Yeah, that will work. Logic really worked with this psycho (who, by the way, is already dead).

You're right, the Canadian gun registry hasn't worked. The main reason is that the pro-gun conservative nuts have refused to register their guns, and the governing party has pussy-footed around the issue because they didn't want to lose votes in the last election.

Ironically, this happened the day before the governing party was about to debate the legalization of marijuana. Because of this incident, not only will it not be legalized, it may not even be decriminalized...and all not because of marijuana, but because of a psychopath who never should have had a gun in his possession.

nafnikufesin said:
Yeah, that will work. Logic really worked with this psycho (who, by the way, is already dead).

You are right. Logic doesn't work. But, is it logical for taxpayers to board that POS for the rest of his life? If it doesn't deter people from the crime, it will still help ease the burden on the taxpayers. and, if it does deter even one murderer, than haasn't it been worth it?

MichiMikey said:
You are right. Logic doesn't work. But, is it logical for taxpayers to board that POS for the rest of his life? If it doesn't deter people from the crime, it will still help ease the burden on the taxpayers. and, if it does deter even one murderer, than haasn't it been worth it?

It costs more to execute than life in prison, net present value.

nafnikufesin said:

You're right, the Canadian gun registry hasn't worked. The main reason is that the pro-gun conservative nuts have refused to register their guns, and the governing party has pussy-footed around the issue because they didn't want to lose votes in the last election.

Ironically, this happened the day before the governing party was about to debate the legalization of marijuana. Because of this incident, not only will it not be legalized, it may not even be decriminalized...and all not because of marijuana, but because of a psychopath who never should have had a gun in his possession.

Are you saying it is pro-gun conservatives that are going out and committing crimes? Because all the pro-gun conservatives I know are very much against crime. And by crime I mean harming other people, not keeping guns, which harms no one.

MichiMikey said:
Show me the numbers....

Have you got the time?

http://www-pps.aas.duke.edu/people/faculty/cook/comnc.pdf there's a 114 page academic journal article about it. Obviously, I haven't read it.

For a very brief summary:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:4RJfyo2mn_QJ:www.startribune.com/stories/1519/5252794.html+%22Philip+Cook%22%2B%22execution%22&hl=en (I am using this google link because the Star Tribune requires registration.)

High cost of death

"In recent years, the death penalty has been meted out an average of 80 times annually. These executions come at a high tangible cost. For while executing an individual does save the money that would have been used for a lifetime in prison, the savings are dwarfed by the costs of death-penalty trials and appeals. The most scholarly research on the topic, by Philip Cook and Donna Slawson Kruniholm of Duke, found that the state of North Carolina spent $2.16 million per execution more than what would be spent if the maximum penalty were life in prison.

"Proponents of the death penalty usually justify these costs by invoking its deterrence effect. But Steve Levitt of the University of Chicago has noted that the risk of execution for those who commit murder is typically small compared with the risk of death that violence-prone criminals willingly face in daily life. ... "

John J. Donahue, writing in the Milken Institute Review.

----

Now I think John J. Donahue and Steve Levitt are sons-of-bitches, but I suppose they can be right sometime. I don't have strong feelings on the DP either way. I don't object to it in principle, but I am very fearful of government power. It also seems to me to be very arbitrarily handed out.

jdelpi said:
Are you saying it is pro-gun conservatives that are going out and committing crimes? Because all the pro-gun conservatives I know are very much against crime. And by crime I mean harming other people, not keeping guns, which harms no one.
I'm not saying that pro-gun conservatives are committing crimes, but they are certainly conspiring from having a law passed to register your guns. The law does not prevent anyone from owning a firearm, it simply states that if you own one that you should register it...much like everyone that owns a car registers their vehicle. Quite simply, I can't see why anyone would be so opposed to such a thing, unless they had something to hide :heh:

nafnikufesin said:
I'm not saying that pro-gun conservatives are committing crimes, but they are certainly conspiring from having a law passed to register your guns. The law does not prevent anyone from owning a firearm, it simply states that if you own one that you should register it...much like everyone that owns a car registers their vehicle. Quite simply, I can't see why anyone would be so opposed to such a thing, unless they had something to hide :heh:

Agreed! Helps crime investigators keep track of stolen weapons used in crimes.

nafnikufesin said:

Perhaps because it infringes on their civil liberties? (I thought liberals cared about civil liberties.) Or because gun registration has ALWAYS been the first step to total confiscation? (which is your stated objective and made easier by registration, admit it) Or because it's none of your goddamned business whether or not law abiding citizens own guns? Or because actual criminals will not register their guns? Just some possibilities.

Let's stop registering cars, too, because that has obviously led to their total confiscation. I don't hear too many civil libertarians arguing about that. If they were really law-abiding citizens, why wouldn't they follow the law and register their guns? Sure, criminals wouldn't register their guns, but then possession of an unregistered firearm would be a criminal offence, and we wouldn't have to wait until they shot somebody to charge them. Seriously, take some haldol for your paranoia.

I´m thinking here, what is a "law-abiding person"? In my opinon that is someone who follows laws stated by a government regardless if they like laws or not. That´s not really the same thing as talking about the morals of using firearms to protect family and property.

If people have to register cars (probably the consumer-product that is involved in most accidents), they should register their guns. I belive insurance-comanies are interested to know if a houshold has registred firearms in case of gun-accidents or selfdefence and so on... shady area this...

Arg_Hamster said:
I´m thinking here, what is a "law-abiding person"? In my opinon that is someone who follows laws stated by a government regardless if they like laws or not. That´s not really the same thing as talking about the morals of using firearms to protect family and property.

If people have to register cars (probably the consumer-product that is involved in most accidents), they should register their guns. I belive insurance-comanies are interested to know if a houshold has registred firearms in case of gun-accidents or selfdefence and so on... shady area this...

So if the law states "tell the government where all the Jews live so we can go kill them," it is correct to do so because it is the law? Puhleeze, it is quite moral to disobey unjust laws, so long as you don't commit force or fraud against others.