4 RCMP Officers killed

nafnikufesin said:
Let's stop registering cars, too, because that has obviously led to their total confiscation. I don't hear too many civil libertarians arguing about that. If they were really law-abiding citizens, why wouldn't they follow the law and register their guns? Sure, criminals wouldn't register their guns, but then possession of an unregistered firearm would be a criminal offence, and we wouldn't have to wait until they shot somebody to charge them. Seriously, take some haldol for your paranoia.

I'm paranoid? Please, you're the one worried that someone, somewhere, may own a gun. And you want the armed men and women of the government to act on your paranoia.

Cars are registered first of all to tax them. Obviously, I do not support taxing guns. Cars are also supposedly taxed because driving on the government roads you are forced to pay for is considered a "privilege." I don't really agree with that, but that's irrelevent here. Owning a gun, however, is not a privilege, it is a right. It would be wrong to tax or register churches, newspapers, habeus corpus, speedy trials, etc. The same principle applies to guns, since it is a right to own them.

Canada's law has already led to some gun confiscation: http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Articles/Read.aspx?ID=4
As I mentioned before, but you failed to respond to, you've already stated total gun confiscation is your objective. Registration would be the first step to reaching your goal. Hitler knew that.

Arg_Hamster said:
If people have to register cars (probably the consumer-product that is involved in most accidents), they should register their guns.

Should they also register with the government if their children are involved in sports? After all, children get seriously injured, even killed, in playing sports. Should they also register bathtubs, where children drown?

Arg_Hamster said:
I belive insurance-comanies are interested to know if a houshold has registred firearms in case of gun-accidents or selfdefence and so on... shady area this...

Then let the insurance companies simply ask. I don't see why this possible desire of insurance companies requires a massive bureaucracy trampling on the rights of citizens. Of course, if I were running an insurance company, I would know people with guns would be more likely to be able to stop a home invasion.

jdelpi said:
So if the law states "tell the government where all the Jews live so we can go kill them," it is correct to do so because it is the law? Puhleeze, it is quite moral to disobey unjust laws, so long as you don't commit force or fraud against others.

I´d say it´s wrong to frame those people that´s because I´m not abiding the law to 100% but use my own judgement, moral and empaty in a lot of situations (I disagree with the justice departements view on variuos products from hemp and punishments for rape etc). If a person follows a code of laws (religous, traditional or from a justice system) word for word, without for whatever reason questioning them they are in a true sense law-abiding (and probably a zombie-sheep)! Luckily 99,99% of us disagree more or less with those laws.

My point was very few people are (thank you for that) literally law-abiding. And you proved it yourself with the point you made.

jdelpi said:
I'm paranoid? Please, you're the one worried that someone, somewhere, may own a gun. And you want the armed men and women of the government to act on your paranoia.
You're the one worried that you'll never be able to protect yourself without a gun and it is every Americans duty to take the law into their own hands. You're the one that is worried that someone, somewhere, may own a gun, so you better have one too to protect yourself against them. There are many legitimate reasons for owning a gun, and I have never disputed that.

Owning a gun, however, is not a privilege, it is a right. It would be wrong to tax or register churches, newspapers, habeus corpus, speedy trials, etc. The same principle applies to guns, since it is a right to own them.
Yes, I know, your country's outdated constitution makes it a "right" to own a gun. Does that mean it should be. Rights are very much based on moral values, and also form from the context at the time they were developed. Rights in your country are very different than rights in many other countries in the world. I believe that owning something that can kill somebody else should be a priveledge, not a right.

Canada's law has already led to some gun confiscation: http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Articles/Read.aspx?ID=4
So you don't think that there should be any limitations on the kind of firearms that people can own? Automatic weapons, guns that can fire "armor-piercing" bullets, these are okay with you? Now I'm not an expert on guns, so I don't specifically know these specific guns were that were outlawed, but regardless of your "right to bear arms", it doesn't mean that you are entitled to own any gun ever made regardless of what kind of gun it is.
As I mentioned before, but you failed to respond to, you've already stated total gun confiscation is your objective.
I have never stated that, which is why I never responded to it. I don't think that any whacko should be able to walk into their local pawn shop, Wal-Mart, hell, even their local bank, and walk out with a gun. A gun is a dangerous weapon, and the prime reason for its original invention was to kill someone or something with it. If someone is properly trained and educated in the safe use and storage of a firearm (and can prove it through testing), has no criminal record or serious mental illness, and follows the proper laws (which in my country includes REGISTRATION), there are many legitimate reasons for owning a gun.
Registration would be the first step to reaching your goal.
Registration would be the first step to many things, but you assume it is only destined for one single path, confiscation of your precious weapon. We go back to our little discussion about paranoia.

Hitler knew that.
If we're going to draw comparisons to Hitler, I'd be much more worried about your leader rather than mine.

nafnikufesin said:
You're the one worried that you'll never be able to protect yourself without a gun and it is every Americans duty to take the law into their own hands. You're the one that is worried that someone, somewhere, may own a gun, so you better have one too to protect yourself against them. There are many legitimate reasons for owning a gun, and I have never disputed that.
I never stated it is the duty of every person to "take the law into their own hands." However, I have no problem with people protecting themselves. I know you've stated you oppose the death penalty. I am opposed to it too, but for different reasons. I am not sure how you feel about killing or injuring in self-defense. Perhaps you oppose it. It would explain a lot. I have a friend who agrees with me on nearly every political issue, except gun control. He is a Christian pacifist.
nafnikufesin said:
Yes, I know, your country's outdated constitution makes it a "right" to own a gun. Does that mean it should be. Rights are very much based on moral values, and also form from the context at the time they were developed. Rights in your country are very different than rights in many other countries in the world. I believe that owning something that can kill somebody else should be a priveledge, not a right.
Outdated? Please! It's more needed now than ever before. The politicians ignore it, unfortunately. However, my country's constitution did not "make" anything a right. Rights are pre-political and pre-legal. It merely recognized those rights.
To quote the greatest political document ever written, the Declaration of Independence:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
Even if the US Constitution did not state the right to keep and bear arms, there would still be no federal authority over it, as Congress' powers are very clearly limited by Article I section 8 of the Constitution. That is why some of the Framers of the Constitution opposed the Bill of Rights. They thought it was superfluous.

nafnikufesin said:
So you don't think that there should be any limitations on the kind of firearms that people can own? Automatic weapons, guns that can fire "armor-piercing" bullets, these are okay with you? Now I'm not an expert on guns, so I don't specifically know these specific guns were that were outlawed, but regardless of your "right to bear arms", it doesn't mean that you are entitled to own any gun ever made regardless of what kind of gun it is.
I am entitled to do whatever the hell I damn well want, so long as I do not initiate force or fraud against another person. We can disagree about the exact implications of such a principle, but I don't give up on the principle.
The real question is: why is it ok for you, or the government, to initiate violence against me because I choose to own a particular weapon? If I do not follow your orders, the government comes after me with its guns. If I try to resist, I can be shot. In order to "control" guns, you must use violence or the threat of violence against me. By what right can you do this to me?

nafnikufesin said:
I have never stated that, which is why I never responded to it. I don't think that any whacko should be able to walk into their local pawn shop, Wal-Mart, hell, even their local bank, and walk out with a gun. A gun is a dangerous weapon, and the prime reason for its original invention was to kill someone or something with it. If someone is properly trained and educated in the safe use and storage of a firearm (and can prove it through testing), has no criminal record or serious mental illness, and follows the proper laws (which in my country includes REGISTRATION), there are many legitimate reasons for owning a gun.

Registration would be the first step to many things, but you assume it is only destined for one single path, confiscation of your precious weapon. We go back to our little discussion about paranoia.
I've provided examples of where gun registration has led to confiscation. Canada and Nazi Germany. It has also happened in Britain, Australia, Greece, Cuba, Germany, Soviet Georgia, Ireland, Jamaica, and Bermuda, to name a few. It has happened in New York City. When gun registration was started in NYC, critics were labeled paranoid. They were also correct. Their guns were banned. The government had a convenient list of everyone who registerd theirs. (Note: criminals in the US cannot be required to register their guns. It violates their fifth amendment protection against self-incrimination. The Supreme Court ruled on this in Haynes v. U.S. in 1968. Only people with no criminal records can be required to register their guns, the way I understand it.) I know there are many members of the US Congress who have total gun confiscation as their ultimate agenda. Even if I were sympathetic to your argument for registration, I would have to oppose it simply to not cede any ground.

nafnikufesin said:
If we're going to draw comparisons to Hitler, I'd be much more worried about your leader rather than mine.

Well I voted against him, so I can't speak in favor of him. At least he hasn't tried to confiscate people's guns to make them more vulnerable to tyrants. I can't defend very much else of him.

But I must confess, I didn't mean to get into a huge debate over this. It's my natural tendency to respond to political postings. I sort of made a New Years resolution that I would not get involved in political debates on the Anthrax message board of all places, and I intend to stick to that. So, to quote the abominable Bill O'Reilly, "you get the last word."

nafnikufesin said:
Can I get it in that other thread, too? :p

I agree...we're not going to change each others minds here. Why don't we debate topics that are more worthy of our time, like which beers taste better on a hot day, or which celebrities would look best nude.

I saw this show on USA Network called Dead Zone, and I must say the red head on the show is pretty damn hot. I need Brent's opinion. He loves them redheads. (He married one)

Haven't seen the show...I'll have to look it up. Vanessa Marcil (currently on NBC's Las Vegas) has always been a personal favorite. Eliza Dushku (most recently of Fox's Tru Calling) is damn fine, too, may not be the best looking ever, but I bet she'd be pretty wild in the sack.

Hmmm, lingerie, you say...

but alas, here in Canada, the CBC doesn't tend to pick up shows from the USA Network (or shows with women in lingerie for that matter)

My, how topics can change from what was initially intended in these threads. At least they usually come back to sex :D

I read this in the paper some time after 9/11, it was a nice change to the horror stories and I feel it's pertinent to this discussion. Forgive the paraphrasing....After 9/11, when the U.S had deciced to protect its borders a little more thoroughly, our neighbor to the north pledged assistance. Canada offered the U.S. some military help for the fight against terrorism: one army company, one squadron of fighter-jets and four war ships.

With the current exchange rate this amounts to four Mounties, two flying squirrels and a canoe.

:tickled: :tickled: :tickled:

remember, guns don't kill people, husbands who come home unannounced do!