414 on overheads for metal/hardcore ?

I have a band coming in a few weeks from now going to record their first ep and im going to buy either another 414 (already have one) or possibly a pair of some other overheads (sm81) to use as the main overheads on the kit replacing what im using now which are AT pro37s i will then use the pro37s for spot micing cymbals. The problem is my ceilings are really low so a long pencil condenser like the sm81 would have to be placed lower to the kit, where something like the 414 i could move up a bit higher and get more ambience and over all image but then again maybe not because its only like 20 centimetres of a difference, But im worried that the 414 is going to much of the kit when i replace everything with samples.

Has anybody used the 414s as overheads for metal/hardcore or whatever we are calling heavy music these days and been able to sample replace with out too much bleed from the kit (obviously i will be high passing them high)

And is the difference of 20 CM higher off the kit really going to pick up the cymbals better?

thanks in advance to anybody who replies :)

I use almost exclusively 414B-ULS mics for OHs. No problems, as far as I can tell, but your taste maybe different from mine.

The higher you go from the cymbals, the more it's going to pick up the whole kit. I like it, since it also brings out more of the cymbal sound as a whole.
However, with a low ceiling, you might be getting some nasty reflections from it (unless treated accordingly, of course).

Have you tried using a close room mic for the symbal/kit sound? Might not always work for metal, experiment when you don't have clients! :D

figure 8 doenst make anything stereo and I think you want stereo-OH´s.

You could make a copy of the track, flip the phase and pan them hard L&R but then you'll be left with a dead spot in the center. That's where the cardioid mic comes into play for the mid-side technique.

I did some drum tracking last night and used 414's as the overheads (not matched though) and I don't think I'll go back to using my SDC's.

In some applications 414s would be great as overhead mics. I'd definitely prefer something darker though. Some ribbons maybe. Royers are amazing as overhead mics. SE electronics have some ribbons called R1s that are cool as well.

record with a single mic. copy the track. 1st copy hp@500hz heavily compressed and limited to death panned to center, the other lp@500hz and add some distortion and panned L/R. this way you will have lots of definition and it will gel well with the gits. oh wait...