45%Revalver Mk II + 45%Nuendo + 10%ASIO = wtf%

lilhermiejobo

Mar 6, 2007
Okay so I recently got Revalver Mk II (and I'm totally amazed)
the problem lies in that while the guitar tone and everything is magnificently beautiful on the ears, when I go to record this awesome sounding guitar something horrible happens.
It seems like RevalverMkII and Nuendo 1 are getting into fist fights over who owns the ASIO driver supplied by my audio card EMU 0404.
I've tried adding more audio tracks and routed the RevalverMKII and Nuendo to seperate tracks using different input/output configuratons and still no luck.
At this point I'm looking for anyone else who might have had similar things happen to them, possibly with the same audio card or any others for that matter really.

Does ANYONE have ANY ideas, suggestions, solutions, tips or advice on how I can get both to work at the same time without all the clipping and freezing?

Here's my computer specs:
emu 0404 latency ranges 2ms - 100ms
dual pentium 3 1ghz processors
2gb ram
620gb hard drive space

Thank you to anyone who replies to this :kickass:

According to taskmanager both cpu's load while running both programs (nuendo template including plugs & revalvermkII) is averaging between 35-40% maximum which is hardly enough for audio to clip or freeze the way its acting. I've done more with considerably less on my last system (a single pentium 3 733mhz, 512mb ram, same audio card-emu0404) and the audio didn't clip until my cpu was maxing out at 99-100% load. I'm positive that this is only an audio driver issue which was the reason for my post.

Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions aside from buying a new computer?

Rev MKII is a CPU hog. I'm pretty positive, too, that your problem lies in the processors. With my Duron 1,8GHz I could barely run one instance of Rev MKII and nothing else. With my new E4400 I can have four instances in a full project (25-30 tracks, most of 'em with plugins) without a problem.

So you guys are telling me that even though my computer's maximum load is about 40% (both cpu) while running both Nuendo & MkII, the audio is clipping and acting a fool because my cpu are overloaded? :zombie:

I monitor the system with taskmanager & speedfan
task manager says cpu1 & cpu2 aren't overloading
speedfan says my core and system temps aren't overheating

:ill:

Granted, my system isn't a new octoquadmegamachine with state-of-the-art digital servants slaving over my audio projects at warp speeds, I'll agree to that no problem. The occurance thats got me wheels a turnin' is knowing that I've recorded on a much slower system with 1/4 the ram that I have now and my audio didn't start clipping and popping until my cpu load was maxing out. Whereas on this new(er) machine I'm maxing around 40%, even rounded up to 50% (just to be safe here) that still leaves 50-60% overhead for processing.
In conclusion by theory in part (but not limited to) the free space left in the machine, it would fit within a sound logic to assume the culprit hides in the audio drivers.

Rockin like Dokken,
JoBo :headbang:

p.s.
fajitas

If he got a really old server workstation you can load the motherboard with two P3 cpu's.

Exactly.
I've got a Gateway ALR 6400/7400 series server fully upgraded according to gateway support.
2 cpu (p3 1Ghz) + (p3 1Ghz) [upgraded from dual p3 733Mhz]
2 gb ecc registered sdram [upgraded from 1gb]
emu 0404 [upgraded from sound blaster live 24bit]
blahblahblah etc.

Anyone have any idea why nuendo and mkII would fight over the same audio driver?:err:

Cause Revalver still has a lot of bugs.. hope alien connections guys will try to fix it somehow.
I don't think it's a hardware prob. Btw .. just find a cool sound, export e work on the wav.

i have these overload probs as well.
not especially with revalver, but my cpu metering is peaking and the task manager is about 50% on each core (machine is an opteron 185 ).

i'm really new to this whole dualcore stuff, but i have a feeling that those multicore daw's for pc don't work 100% right - or is it just me and my setup?

what about you guys?, does your cpu metering in your daw show the same power as the task manager?

this issue didn't exist with my singlecore - cpu metering = task manager.:loco:

thanks for your answers!!!

stand alone runs fine by itself until I open nuendo.
the vst plug acts a fool and I'm not understanding why exactly aside from an audio driver issue...
I don't know much other than its sucking majorly not being able to record this audible sweetness pouring forth.
what say ye?

They're not supposed to be running at the same time... thus your driver issue.

I understand the mkII live and nuendo would clash after all of this but I'm still not so sure about running the vst and it acting the same way:zombie:

just to avoid any possible confusion here,

running revmkII stand alone works.
running revmkII VST causes problems with nuendo.

I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with the emu0404 but I could easily assume similar products would offer a similar design with the built in DSP track/mixer probably featuring different interfaces for different products, I could be wrong of course.

I really appreciate all the feedback I'm getting from you guys
hopefully we/you/me/us/them will get this thing figured out and kick its arse.
twice.

p.s.
fajitas