4x12 Mesa test: Rectifier vs Stiletto in a mix!

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011

Match EQ'd from that Haggerty's video and put in a mix situation to give you guys a better view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recto for me, even though it needs a narrow cut at about 4-5k to kill the "static fizz" there.
Stiletto sounds hollow in comparison.
Hang on. These aren't actually miced cabs but match EQ sims?
They both have a bit of that shhhh sound that impulses have.

Maybe i got it wrong but....

U matched both files to the same source? Isnt that pretty senseless if you wanna compare cabs?

I think he used this video to match his direct amp sound to run through a matched impulse of each cabinet. From those two I prefer the Stiletto cab.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he used this video to match his direct amp sound to run through a matched impulse of each cabinet. From those two I prefer the Stiletto cab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f22Nsx6pHp8

What a strange video. The Rectifier is smoking it up until the very end when he starts playing some distorted riffs, then the Stiletto takes it. But with each individual V30 varying so much, and with mic placement being such a factor it's hard to say whether it's the cab or just the circumstances around it varying.

The difference in v30's in my recto cab is quite shocking. I only really like one of them that seems to be a lot less fizzy than the other 3, and I would say that the difference between the speakers is almost as drastic as the difference between the two clips in the Haggerty's video. Although I don't argue that a smaller enclosure does make for a more mid focused projection.