Mesa Rectifier Cab - 4x12 vs 2x12

yarrick19

Oct 22, 2005
Idaho
Anyone had a chance to compare the mesa rectifier 4x12 cab with the 2x12?

What are the sonic differences (if any)?

In general, are there big differences between 2x12 and 4x12 closed back cabs?

Thanks!

i find the 2x12 to be a little tighter and clearer personally & preferred it over the 4x12

talking about the horizontal 2x12 tho, the vertical one is designed a little different

i find the 2x12 to be a little tighter and clearer personally & preferred it over the 4x12

talking about the horizontal 2x12 tho, the vertical one is designed a little different

thats exactly why i play on a 2x12(with a 5150 with only 2 power tubes in it) thou i have a 4x12.tighter,clearer, more defined, and i dont need that "ooomph" of a 4x12 that people seem to enjoy.
i played on a mesa rectifier 2x12 (140W with v30's rated at 70W) and was incredible experience :kickass: ill buy one very soon , if not the orange ppc 2x12.

thats exactly why i play on a 2x12(with a 5150 with only 2 power tubes in it) thou i have a 4x12.tighter,clearer, more defined, and i dont need that "ooomph" of a 4x12 that people seem to enjoy.
i played on a mesa rectifier 2x12 (140W with v30's rated at 70W) and was incredible experience :kickass: ill buy one very soon , if not the orange ppc 2x12.

Did you get your 2x12, how does it records?

If the oversized 4X12" sound isn't for you, I would personally go with a smaller 4X12", because then you have (tonally at least) the best of both worlds.

Here's my gear, a Triple Rectifier on a Rectifier Standard (oversize cab) and my ENGL Invader 100 on top of an Orange PPC412, just to show the difference these cabs have in size:

MesaENGL6.jpg

Of course the Mesa has casters so it looks a lot taller... And the Orange cab is faaaaar from being light weight :lol:

Is the traditional mesa cab bigger than other normal 4x12 like your orange?

Also, do you feel like the oversized mesa cab is harder to record, harder to get tight mids and lows out of it?
On this forum this cab seems appreciated but on some other recording forum people seem to prefer the traditional one, apparently it would sit better in the mix and have better midrange and tighter lows.

BTW, pretty cool cab, the orange with black tolex is a first for me!

Well an Orange 4x12 really isn't bigger than a normal 4x12, and neither is a Mesa Trad. - believe me, I had ample opportunity to see the two next to many Marshall cabs (my definition of the "standard" 4x12), as detailed here!

And Tomir, I was wondering, does the Orange 4x12 come with casters?

Is the traditional mesa cab bigger than other normal 4x12 like your orange?

Also, do you feel like the oversized mesa cab is harder to record, harder to get tight mids and lows out of it?
On this forum this cab seems appreciated but on some other recording forum people seem to prefer the traditional one, apparently it would sit better in the mix and have better midrange and tighter lows.

BTW, pretty cool cab, the orange with black tolex is a first for me!

Well, there are both good and bad sides about both of the cabs, but I do prefer the Mesa cab, because it sounds more neutral and "bigger".

It isn't necessarily the "tightest" cab around, but I don't personally go for a super tight guitar tone anyways. I do use 7-strings a lot, so I still need to have lows that stay focused, and the Mesa cab can do that just fine.

For me personally, the Mesa Standard cab is focused on the frequencies that I personally like in my guitar tone. I am more of an low mid kinda guy, but no, I do not scoop my mids! I go for a Nevermore'ish guitar tone. Modern, massive and mean!

The Orange cab has more upper mid bite and tighter, more transparent lows. I don't personally like the way it sounds with my Recto, but it sounds pretty good with my Invader.

But in the end, it has a lot to do with the amp itself and personal preferences. The Mesa cab is great, because it has sounded killer with all the amps I have used with it (Mesa Triple, Mesa Dual, ENGL Invader, Peavey 6505, 6505+)

And Tomir, I was wondering, does the Orange 4x12 come with casters?

Nope, and it weights as much as the Mesa, so moving it by yourself is not the most pleasant experience.

It did buy some casters for it though, so all I need to do is install them and vóila, we have easy movement!

Well, there are both good and bad sides about both of the cabs, but I do prefer the Mesa cab, because it sounds more neutral and "bigger".

It isn't necessarily the "tightest" cab around, but I don't personally go for a super tight guitar tone anyways. I do use 7-strings a lot, so I still need to have lows that stay focused, and the Mesa cab can do that just fine.

For me personally, the Mesa Standard cab is focused on the frequencies that I personally like in my guitar tone. I am more of an low mid kinda guy, but no, I do not scoop my mids! I go for a Nevermore'ish guitar tone. Modern, massive and mean!

The Orange cab has more upper mid bite and tighter, more transparent lows. I don't personally like the way it sounds with my Recto, but it sounds pretty good with my Invader.

But in the end, it has a lot to do with the amp itself and personal preferences. The Mesa cab is great, because it has sounded killer with all the amps I have used with it (Mesa Triple, Mesa Dual, ENGL Invader, Peavey 6505, 6505+)
Thanks for the input, I remember trying a dual through a mesa cab at the store once and I enjoyed the sound but I can't remember if it was a standard or traditional cab.
As soon as I'm done with the mix I'm working on, I'll go to that store again and try them out.
In the meantime, if anybody else wanna share their opinion about mesa cabs, it'd be appreciated.
thanks