2x12 vs. 4x12

Skaldir

formerly known as Unicorn
Nov 3, 2001
Germany
www.kalthallen.de
I'd really like to hear so views on 2x12 and 4x12 cabinets for recordings.
Guess most guys use 4x12 cabs, but what's the difference when micing only one speaker besides the different resonance frequencys?
What brands can you recommend for studio use when the budget is tight?
And comparision files from 2x12 vs 4x12 that had the same speakers?

FWIW, when I made the purchase of my 4x12 Framus Dragon cab I initially went to the store to get the 2x12. The difference is massive IMO.
With a mic I would imagine the difference would be significant, but maybe not as huge as in the room. Even though it's close micing of one speaker, the presence of the 4x12 definately would come through under a mic.
That's not to say you couldn't get a good tone from a decently built 2x12, especially the brands that make them almost as large as some smaller/ trad sized 4x12s. The Engl 2x12's are only a fraction smaller than my Framus Cab, though due to their construction could very well sound better.

Thanks for your post.
You don't happen to have clips of both do you?:dopey::dopey:

Unfortunately I don't. After hearing the difference I stopped looking at the 2x12 and purchased the 4x12.

I think it was CJwall who had old clips of his Fireball with Engl 2x12? I'm pretty sure Ermz still has those on his HD. They sounded pretty awsome.

Has anyone here used 2 2x12 cabinets as opposed to a 4x12 for live or recording? Probably still thinner I would imagine? My Krank 4x12 doesn't fit in my car :(

I've used a single 2x12 (Marshall 1936) for plenty of gigs and never had a problem hearing myself. Save yourself the space and just go for a 2x12.

Unfortunately I don't. After hearing the difference I stopped looking at the 2x12 and purchased the 4x12.

I think it was CJwall who had old clips of his Fireball with Engl 2x12? I'm pretty sure Ermz still has those on his HD. They sounded pretty awsome.

Was that really a 2x12? I thought he had a 1960A or something. I recall him getting brutal tones with the G12-T75s.

Anyway, Harley Benton just got here. Will check soon.