Big difference between 2x12 and 4x12 ?

Jaekae

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden
Ive got a offer to buy a mesa rectifier 2x12 for 550euro or a mesa resto 4x12 straight cab for 750

Is there a big difference when im only going to use it for recording? worth the extra 200?

since im a student i will have to cut down on food if i get the 4x12 :p

412 will sound fuller and has a slightly different midrange than the 212, but will also be louder.
if volume isn't an issue i'd go for the 412 personally, as it's a great cab. 200 euro difference isn't that much either.
having that said, the 212 is a great cab too, and you can't really go wrong with either one imho.

The way I see it, if the 2x12 is 550 and the 4x12 is 750, you're paying less than half price for double the speakers/cab.....

In other words, I'd get the 4x12 because it's a better deal. Or...if you don't have much space.......2x12.

412 will sound fuller and has a slightly different midrange than the 212, but will also be louder.
if volume isn't an issue i'd go for the 412 personally, as it's a great cab. 200 euro difference isn't that much either.
having that said, the 212 is a great cab too, and you can't really go wrong with either one imho.

Agreed but the volume levels will only come into play once the speakers have reached max load capacity .
I think the 2X12 will still easily handle a 100w head flat out but yeah the 4X12 will sound nicer .

Agreed but the volume levels will only come into play once the speakers have reached max load capacity .
I think the 2X12 will still easily handle a 100w head flat out but yeah the 4X12 will sound nicer .

disagree, 412 pushes more air therefore sounds/appears louder at identical master volume settings.

disagree, 412 pushes more air therefore sounds/appears louder at identical master volume settings.

Thats a common myth .
There may be more surface cone area but each speaker cone is moving less since the watts is being devided by 4 and not 2 !