Mesa 2x12 vs. ENGL 2x12

Hi guys, I need a 2x12 cab for shows. I can choose here a Mesa or ENGL, both horizontal, Vintage 30 and similar price.

I'll use it with a 5150, drop A# tuning, BTW I'm the only guitarist in the band.

The Mesa cab includes casters and cover, thats a cool feature but I have a rectifier 4x12 cab already, so I was thinking about the ENGL.

So what's better, any experiences from someone who used both cabs?

Thanks!

ENGL's brighter, front-loaded, and has the brighter Chinese (I think) V30's.

Mesa's warmer, rear-loaded, and has the fatter UK custom Mesa V30's.

Both are 8 Ohms, I think.

IMO, if you have and like the recto 4x12 then get the 2x12 and you should be happy (I have both). It doesn't sound miles different, a bit smaller sounding but still plenty of bass and punch. If anything I prefer the 2x12 right now, it sounds tighter and a bit crunchier than my OS straight recto 4 x12 and is way easier to move around - I play rock, not metal though. Mesa V30 cabs do sound different to other V30 cabs in my experience, I prefer them personally. Mesa V30 cabs are a bit smoother sounding to me for high gain - people have done comparisons on this board before if you search for them.

The only caveats with the Recto 2x12 are that it is quite short, so would be easier to hear live if you can set it on top of a flight case or box to raise it up, and that it only has a top handle which can be awkward when taking it up stairs (I would prefer 2 side handles personally).

This is ENGL 2x12

And this is Mesa 4x12, but I only use the bottom speakers. (Excepet first sample witch is GT75)

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest Mesa.
5150 with Mesa cabinet fits perfectly.
ENGL cabs are OK, but i think they are more "noisy"

I guess you're probably convinced to go with the Mesa by now, but just in case, this remix by Christian Svedin (crillemannen on here) of one of my band's songs was re-amped (by him) through a JSX + horizontal Recto 2x12

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought you were anti-JSX? :lol:

It's hard to argue with the end result, eh?

I sold him the JSX sound so hard haha, think hes got quite the GAS for it nowdays :D

To OP:

I had a Engl 4x12 with V30's at the same time i had my Mesa 2x12 and I do like the Mesa sound better. There is something about the 1500-2000hz in the Engl which i didn't like, sounded colder for a bias word.

And if you go to my website, my showreel is all Mesa 2x12 if that matters.

if using an engl amp, i'd go with engl cab, same thign with mesa. But you want to know how YOUR amp would sound with it, right? There's no way around testing both :)

But on the other hand, both are awesome cabs.