Vertical 2x12s vs. Horizontal 2x12s?

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Any opinions here? I've reverted back to my idea of grabbing a Mesa 2x12 instead of the 4x12 since I'm still going to be using my 5150 cab for rehearsals and live and the Mesa cab will just be for recording... I was also thinking of getting one of the 2x12 Engl V60 cabs in the future as well.

Originally I was thinking the horizontal cab since a head won't fit properly on a vertical 2x12, but since it's for the studio that's a non issue since I'll probably have the head in the control room anyways. Anyways, any opinions or preferences along with any reasons for those preferences would be appreciated!

I have a Marshall 2x12 with a V30 and a G12-T75...it's ok for recording. A Mesa 2x12 is a different story though...those are awesome for recording. Haven't heard much about the Engl 2's.

~006

Yeah I want something with a fabric grill and V30s though :\ The Mesa will probably cost me like, $700 or so which sucks but I'd rather not pay $1000 for a 4x12 when I'm only micing one speaker assuming that the 2x12 doesn't sound $300 worse than the 4x12...

Don't forget ebay dude, when I was looking for cabs I saw TONS of Mesa 2x12's there (though most were horizontal, I'm sure verticals pop up now and again)

assuming that the 2x12 doesn't sound $300 worse than the 4x12...

That's funny man!

I was gonna buy a Mesa Horizontal 2x12 myself and saw several for $400-ish on ebay/craigslist. A friend was gonna sell me his for $350 but we never managed to hook up so I could hear it. The key is get it local and avoid the $50 shipping.

I ended up getting an awesome deal on an Ampeg horizontal 2x12 that unlike the Mesa, has a convertible back and stereo/mono wiring. Same V30s and it's even a slant ( no really, it is ). Got it for $200 and I love it. I didn't get a chance to A/B them but since I downsized from a Mesa 4x12 Traditional and like this Ampeg a lot more I'd say I win. I've heard many people say the Mesa Horizontal 2x12's sound just as huge as their 4x12s and that's what got me looking in the first place. I just got sick of hauling that giant SOB around and when my band broke up, I got the smaller cab since I keep it at home in my apartment and only use it for jamming with buddies now. I was tuned down to B standard w/EMG's when I got it and although I'm tuned to E standard now with a DiMarzio Evo it totally sounds as better and as loud as my Mesa 4x12 ever did in either tuning.

Given that the two cabs have the same internal volume they will sound the same so long as they are both straight cabs. Personally I'd rather take the 2x12 to a gig and keep the 4x12 in the studio. A 2x12 can sound great but it's not going to sound the same as a 4x12 due to the way that the 4 speakers acoustically couple inside the box. However if you put tilt back legs on your good sounding straight 2x12 so that it points up at your ears they make great live cabs.