4x12s: Too much for a bedroom?

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Well here's the thing.

I'm not asking for cranking up with the family around the house being propelled through the windows :headbang:

But for when they leave on occasion and I can have my way with things...
Pissing off the neighbors would be just a friggin bonus :heh: those fuckers never let me sleep with their hideous radio-music parties or ridiculous serenades at 4:00am, yet they are of course hyper-sensitive to a pin falling on a floor inside my house, the bastards. Some of you may know the drill.

So bottom line, can I use a 4x12 for practice (perhaps with a hotplate) and unleash hell on the neighbors to record occasionally?
I'd really like the Mesa Roadster 2x12 (go figure why), but is currently out of stock in the US app. I'm shopping for a great amp but currently I plan on using it for recording, not for live use nowadays.

Just now I stumbled upon the following story, supposedly from a mag article:

''Finally, in the summer of 1968 I got my first Marshall Stack. I believe it was about $900.
I brought it home to my apartment on the Upper West side of Manhattan, turned everything to 10 and proceeded to deafen my neighborhood.
When I stopped playing I heard a bang at my door.
I figured it was a complaining neighbor. It was.
She said “You son of a bitch, do you know how loud you were?”
I said, “What apartment do you live in?” “She said, “I don’t live in your building.”
I asked, “Where do you live?”
And she said, “I live four blocks away” and I thought to myself,
“My god, I’ve found my SOUND!"

- from an interview with Jay Jay French of Twisted Sister.''

jeez is that an exaggeration? :ill:

''Finally, in the summer of 1968 I got my first Marshall Stack. I believe it was about $900.
I brought it home to my apartment on the Upper West side of Manhattan, turned everything to 10 and proceeded to deafen my neighborhood.
When I stopped playing I heard a bang at my door.
I figured it was a complaining neighbor. It was.
She said “You son of a bitch, do you know how loud you were?”
I said, “What apartment do you live in?” “She said, “I don’t live in your building.”
I asked, “Where do you live?”
And she said, “I live four blocks away” and I thought to myself,
“My god, I’ve found my SOUND!"

- from an interview with Jay Jay French of Twisted Sister.''

jeez is that an exaggeration? :ill:

Haha, very Manowarish.

I can't have mmy 4x12 at home. I live in a flat.

I just sold my 4x12 Marshall that I had at home for about 4 years and just recently scored a sweet deal on a Mesa Recto 2x12. Honestly I don't play at ridiculously high levels and there's not much of a difference volume wise. So if you don't mind pissing off your neighbors, you have a hot plate and your relatives are fine with it, I'd go for it.

On the other hand, and judging from Ola's YT videos, you can get a massive sound from a 2x12.
And trust me... even my shitty laney 2x12 is loud enough.

Had some troubles with the old lady living upstairs:lol:

Just a note about recording levels:
I am currently recording my new Bugera 6260 with my Rectifier 4x12 cab. I tried how low I can turn the master and how it affects the recorded (miced with SM57) sound. And to be honest, I liked the sound of the master volume at 0.9 (loud enough to upset the wife, but neighbors stay unharmed) better than that of the master at 2 (loud enough to upset all people in an apartment, still will not kill neighbors when you live in a house). It's probably the proximity effect of the mic that I don't like and that is muddying up things. The lower volume sound is more crisp and open.