5.1 Surround Sound amplifier question and suggestions...

Oct 16, 2010
Uk
Hi all.

Is that a new jacket? It looks lovely.

I've recently built myself a HTPC and have 4 pretty decent Mission passive speakers laying around. The manual recommends between 25-75w per channel. I'll be looking at filling in the "Centre" channel at a later point so can make do with a "pseudo middle" 4.1 system for now.

As far as the sub goes, here's where I'm not sure. I have a 12" Celestion 75 Bass driver cone. I'm sure that thing could pump out some decent sub, the only trouble is, it's passive. It looks like I have a few options...

Ideally there's a decent HDMI surround amp that can drive a passive sub? I haven't found any though.

Or, I have my old amp laying around. Could I simply take the "passive sub out" from the surround amp to a "mono phono in" boost it through the second amp, then out to the bass driver?

Alternatively, I've been looking in to bass amplifier plates which effectively allows me to build my own active sub, but they're very pricey for what they are.

With all that in mind does anyone have any suggestions for a surround amp then please? A budget of a max of £250 ($400 or so). Needs 3 HDMI for Xbox 360, HTPC and Sky+ (sattelite).

Thank you :)