Passive Monitor Suggestions?

Ryan Mac

New Metal Member
Feb 21, 2006
I am looking into getting some nearfield passive monitors for a low budget project studio in my home and need some input or suggestions as to what to get. I am also wondering if there are any draw backs or benefits of passive monitors as opposed to active ones. I am thinking of going the passive route because they are generally cheaper but I also am curious as to how vital of a role the actual amp plays in monitoring mixes.

Right now I have a pretty descent Yamaha RX-596 Stereo reciever with a built in amp that you can run "pure direct" which means it bypasses all the eq and loudness settings on the receiver and runs directly from the amp. This receiver is obviously intended more for hi-fi systems or home theater type situations so I am curious if this would be adequate in a small studio setup. I am on a small budget so I can't afford much over $200 for monitors so I know I wont be able to get any where near top a top of the line pair....just something descent. I'm looking at the Alesis Monitor One MKII's at the moment.Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

I always wondered how much of a difference the amp could really make, but given the price difference between, say, the Tannoy Precision 8 in passive ($475) and active ($900), I'd imagine it's a pretty big one. But if your budget is limited, I definitely think those Alesis models with your Yamaha would sound way better than even a $300 pair of active monitors. So my vote for now is the Alesis (or those Avantone Mix Cubes, but those don't look like they're designed to be primary monitors in a setup)