5150 Issue

MattGrave

Jun 2, 2012
Hey dudes,

I had an issue with some reamps last night and I thought I'd see if anyone here knew what was up.

After about 2 songs worth of reamping, the level out of the amp would suddenly drop dramatically. The tone would be the same but there was a noticeable drop in output. After the first amp did this, I switched to the another identical amp and had the same problem after the same amount of time. When the second amp did it, I switched back to the first and it was fine (only had 1 along left to do at this stage so I am not sure if it would have happened again).

The level of the DIs was the same for all the songs, and all the studio gear is working fine. The amps are both Peavey 5150 block letter models. I was running the signal through a Passive Link Reamp box, with the tone and volume set to unity.

I had a Maxon 808 in front of the head - volume and tone at 12 o'clock, balance on full. I was running the amp pretty hard - lead channel, preamp gain at bout 8, post gain at about 4.

Can anyone shed some light on what the issue was? Was I just running too much front-end gain on the amp?

Sorry man, holidays, family, etc... anyway, that basically rules out the 5150 unless you've got some ridiculous power issue at the outlet (much less likely). How are you certain that all the studio gear is fine? I'm guessing it's the maxon, or maybe the reamp box. Take those out of the equation and see if it still does it.

I had a guitarist who struggled with the same problem, but live sound with a cab, for years. We were certain it was the tubes for a while. Replaced them a few times, never fixed it for good. Thought it was transformer. Hired a guy to take a look. Guy replaced transformer. Didn't fix it for good. Just recently (like 8 years later), he called me to let me know it was his rack tuner the whole time hahaha. The tuner seemed fine to us at the time. Passed every time we checked it for causing the issue.