5150 low volume issue (tried effects loop)

RichMinerva

New Metal Member
Jul 27, 2009
but it still makes no difference

my friends 6505 is a higher volume than mine at 2 when mine is at 4 and has lots more low end,

its had a bias mod and a input bypass cap mod.

ive read somewhere about the leads connecting the boards but i know i cant do this myself but would like an insite so i can relay it to my tech.

hope you guys can help

I have a 5150II and I had the same issue. Took it to a local amp tech, and he couldn't fix it and also couldn't tell me what the heck the deal was. Send it to Peavey???

Tried an orange cab it was the same,

With my 2x12 Zilla it needs turning to like 4 all the time and my friends 6505 is only on two :/

have you swapped out things like cables, gutiars etc. Use your guitarists cables guitar and cab and see if it is still doing it. That would help you absolutely rule out of it was the amp or not. If its still having the issue, I would either think that you have faulty tubes or something has become disconnected in the amp like a cable or a dry solder joint. Hell you could have had a component go out but I wouldn't go that far just yet.

have you swapped out things like cables, gutiars etc. Use your guitarists cables guitar and cab and see if it is still doing it. That would help you absolutely rule out of it was the amp or not. If its still having the issue, I would either think that you have faulty tubes or something has become disconnected in the amp like a cable or a dry solder joint. Hell you could have had a component go out but I wouldn't go that far just yet.

hey bro.

definitely not cables and i used a orange 4x12 and had to turn the amp to 6 for acceptable stage levels....

genuinely dont want to get rid of it but im not being left with much of an option atm :/

Are you bridging the effects loop on both? Could be a difference in the PI on both or dirty connections causing a drop in signal. For that matter you might try running his effects out into your return and viceversa to see if its a difference in pre or power sections.

I would take the chassis out, run it like I were about to play it (plugged into cab), and then jiggle stuff around to find something loose that may be causing the problem. you can poke around with a non conductive item like a cheap ink pen/sharpie etc.

Are you bridging the effects loop on both? Could be a difference in the PI on both or dirty connections causing a drop in signal. For that matter you might try running his effects out into your return and viceversa to see if its a difference in pre or power sections.

I would do this, this would help you separate where the issue is at. I have done this before to determine that I had bad preamp tubes.

Bias mods have nothing to do with overall volume, not only have I bias modded mine and compared it to a non biased 5150, my knowledge in EE field also agrees that bias will not do anything to the volume.

Just throwing that out there guys.

Well I tried the effects send into my return and it didn't make a difference so now I'm just confused haha

You running the correct Ohm setting on the amp? I've heard with my own ears an amp being pretty quiet and it was dudes incorrect Ohm setting.