5150 Mk1 new tubes question

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
I just bough a killer Bogner 2x12" oversized cab to match my 5150 Mk1, but since a few weeks I notice a lack of gain and little power drops. I think it's time to change the tubes. I bought the Peavey to an american guy who changed the tubes only once.
I wrote an e-mail to ask some advices to the guy from Eurotubes about the new tubes I should put in there (I want to change the preamp tubes, and of course the power tubes too), and here is his answer :

One of our favorite options for these amps has become the retubes with integrated quads.

The first option is an Integrated quad consisting of a matched pair of the JJ KT66's which are run in the outside two sockets and a matched pair of the JJ 6L6GC's to run in the inside two sockets. These along with the high gain front end will get more thunder and a VERY aggressive and punchy tone with tons of gain and you can of course use these with the standard preamp tubes to maintain the amount of gain You have (or use to have). The JJ KT66's provide a tight low end and a big open mid range that will crunch up a bit quicker than the JJ 6L6GC's. The best part about this tube set is that it's plug and play with NO MODS necessary.
The other option is especially for players that want more of everything. I put this option together for players who don't want to bias mod your amps or don't have anyone they trust to do it. It is an Integrated quad consisting of a matched pair of the JJ KT88's which are run in the outside two sockets and a matched pair of the JJ 6L6GC's to run in the inside two sockets. These along with the high gain front end will get more thunder and a VERY aggressive and punchy tone with tons of gain. The JJ KT88's provide more low end thump than the JJ 6L6GC's and are a little more like an E34L in the mids and highs. The 88's have a very aggressive and punchy tone that is FAT. It's kind of like a cross between a huge 6L6 on the bottom and a very big E34L in the mids and highs. The best part about this tube set is that it's plug and play with NO MODS necessary. You can check it out here. http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-kc.htm

What I want is a big bottom end, grinding mids, open highs (the perfect sound ahah). My first use will be recording in the studio.

Then do I have to order one of those "tube package" from the Eurotubes website ? And then just put it in the 5150 ? The guy says it's just plug and play...

I used Bob at Eurotubes advise almost 3 years ago before the KT66 integration began. I had him put together a integrated quad for me that consisted of 2 JJ 6L6GC with 2 JJ E34L tubes. He advised me to try this integrated quad because I wanted low end chug from the pair of 6L6GC's as well as a nice midrange cut from the E34L's for soloing. I also performed the bias mod myself at the time and brought it to an amp tech to put it on the scope. He questioned me and told me that I couldn't do what Bob told me and for a half an hour we debated. I showed him Eurotubes web site and he still didn't buy that I could use two different types of power tubes together. I finally assured him that if anything went wrong with my amp that he would not be held liable. Well, long story short I fooking love the mixed quad. we experimented with the bias untill we came to the conclusion that 35ma of plate voltage was a good stopping point. Since then I have bought a bias meter from webber and experimented further and now have it biased at 40ma. The quads do work well right out of the box from Bob, but they honestly do sound lots better when you have the bias mod parformed to warm those babies up. The head I have was biased at 19ma, way too cold and fuzzy. Peavey denies that this can work and even states that they do not recommend doing this (both moding the bias and using integrated quads) but my amp has held up perfectly for the last 3 years. I both record and play live with my 5150 and it always slays! Let me know if you try the JJ KT66 with the JJ 6L6GC's. I would love to hear the difference. Good luck, and believe me Bob wouldn't stear you wrong. I have used his advise for both my tube heads and couldn't be happier.

Their must have been another guitarguru that came this site that you have me confused for. I just joined a few nights ago. Or maybe I am just the confused one as is often the case, lol. Has anyone else tried an integrated quad with the 5150 or any other tube amps? I am just currious to hear if anyone else is mad enough to try this.