5150 mk1 power consumption

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
Hi !

I recently bought an used 5150 head in US.
I live in France so I need a tension adaptor (110V to 220V) to use it (there is no switch on the rear panel, is it ?).
The problem for those adaptors is that the price increases with the power consumption of the gear you use it with.
There are 45 watts, 85 watts, 300 watts and more ... 110V-220V tension adaptors.

Anyone in the US can write here the consumed power (watts) of a 5150 mk1 ? (should be written near the power supply cable)
For those who've done the same, what adaptor did you buy ?

Thanx !!! :headbang:

PS : Or can I find somewhere the electronic schematics of the 5150 power supply ? Switching the PS from 110V to 220V isn't very difficult but I guess I need the schematics...

Well, I found myself the answer.
I looked at the Peavey 6505 specs on the PDF doc downloadable from www.peavey.com
and here is what I found :
The power is 120 W, power at clipping is 130 W, and the power consumption is 400 W at 50 Hz/60 Hz.

So I guess I need a 110V to 220V adaptor, that allows 400 W power consumption ??

400watts or more I guess!
120 watts is just the power where the power amp isn't clipping but there is much power lost in the amp/tubes/trafos (the amp gets warm...) so that it has a much bigger power consumption!

Sly said:
Someone told me there is a tension switch inside the amp. But I have no idea where it is.

If you can't find the switch inside, take it to a tech and modd it.
Anyway send an email to bob at eurotubes.com he will tell you for sure, he does custom modes on a lot of tubes amp.
Or send an email to http://www.fjamods.com/
It's better having the output trasnformer set to 220V than always carrying a stepdown transformer, say at a show you forgot your stepdown thing then you're fucked up.