5150 or XXX ???

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Hi,

Im about to trade my Peavey 5150 mkI for a peavey XXX.
Do you think that is a good trade?? What is your experience from
the XXX, good and bad.

Thnks for all the help // CHris SWE

Seeing as how I own both I will share some info.

I owned a 5150 a long time ago and sold it because it would get muddy past 4 on the master volume.

And I needed it to be at around 6 to keep up with drums the loudness it should be.

That seems to be a common problem.

So I sold it.

I bought the Triple XXX and noticed that it has little volume issues as well.

But.....

With a unit in the effects loop, such as my Bellari TUBE Sonic Exciter, I can turn the Effects Send and Return Levels up on the XXX in the back and it gets SUPER Loud.

The XXX owners manual even recommends using the Effects Send and Return Level knobs to get more volume out of the head.

So its perfect for Live playing where you are not always mic'd and want to be able to dominate with your guitar sound.

I bought a 5150 once again just for recording purposes.

They are both great for recording, the 5150 is a little easier to tweak for sound and there are more recommended settings floating around for them than the XXX.

But they are both great for either purpose.

XXX Can get louder though.

I found my XXX for $500 on Craigslist.

Maybe you can keep the 5150 and find a used XXX or vice versa.

Nice to have both!

I disagree about the XXX being louder I have owned both as well ,and the 5150 definatelyt has more ball shaking capabilities. The XXX , while a good amp, doesn't come withing the vicinity of the 5150 in power. You stand in front of that fucker and chunk with the volume on 3 and you can feel it resonating through your body. The triple xx is cool and all and definately has a cool voicing in it's own right and it's definately got that peavey sound, just doesn't deliver that chest thumping powerfull grind.

I disagree about the XXX being louder I have owned both as well ,and the 5150 definatelyt has more ball shaking capabilities. The XXX , while a good amp, doesn't come withing the vicinity of the 5150 in power. You stand in front of that fucker and chunk with the volume on 3 and you can feel it resonating through your body. The triple xx is cool and all and definately has a cool voicing in it's own right and it's definately got that peavey sound, just doesn't deliver that chest thumping powerfull grind.

Im not sure you read my post correctly though...

Its louder with the Effects Loop engaged.

Stand alone, the XXX has to have the volume knob turned to about 6 or 7 to match the 5150 on 4.

I put the send and return level knobs at 12'oclock on my triple xxx and it gets louder than a Krankenstein and keeps a nice tone in doing so.

Without the effects loop, you are right.

I dont know how many people have ever tryed a Bellari Sonic Exciter, but it sounds awesome.

12ax7 tube driven, not processed sounding like a BBE.

And at about $379 I figure not many people have actually tryed it.

That in the XXX Effects loop with the levels up at 12'oclock, smokes!

It sounds killer on the 5150, but the 5150 still turns to mud after 4.

I like to think of it as a Secret Weapon for crushing tone.

No I know what you are talking about exactly and I am saying I don't agree. With the send and return jacked on the XXX it still doesn't have the power that the 5150 has. Maybe I'm crazy but that's what I have experienced with the XXX. But either way Both amps are still cool.

I've had both also... the XXX wasn't bad by any means, but the gain broke up and lost clarity very early. The 5150 had better definition. Also I felt the EQ controls on the 5150 were far better (they were thick and had character), the active controls in the XXX sounded really artificial. I've recorded with both, and the XXX records better quietly than the 5150 does, but when you get them really cranking, the 5150 has a brutality that the XXX just smooths/scoops out and lacks...

I remember....

People thought the XXX was the 5150 because out of the 2 clips it sounded best. Though they were really close.

But either way.

I dont want to sound as though I am in favor of either.

For recording, they are both go to amps.

When I went to jam the other night with some buddys, I took my Triple XXX.

Both are great amps and both have their strengths and weakness.

Wasnt there a XXX on stage behind Andy playing live in the recent Sabat Photos?

:p