XXX Cabs

Feb 21, 2006
What are everyone's opinions on the Peavey XXX cabs? I'm looking to by some new cabs and they seem fairly affordable. I'd rather go for a Mesa cab but I can't find an online store that deals with Boogies. And just about every ebay listing for a Mesa cab is usually for local pickup only.

Death Is Certain said:
What amp are you using? Typically, the Peavey cabs don't record very well but they usually sound fairly decent live.

I'm using a Peavey 5150. I'm also looking into the Marshall 1960A cabs.

What the hell? How come no one sells mesa boogies online?
I thought Guitar Center was a mesa dealer...maybe they or some local store could order you one...?

I have 2 XXX cabs. I was tight on dough, so they were a good choice instead of buying Mesa cabs.... But for recording I guess they aren't so slick. I'm going to throw some V30's in mine based on advice from others....

If anyone can find a site that sells new mesa gear, make sure to post it. If you search yahoo or google for mesa stuff, Musician's Friend comes up top of the list, but they don't carry them. They insist checking out budda amps instead. :yuk:

TheRiverFlowsFrozen said:
If anyone can find a site that sells new mesa gear, make sure to post it. If you search yahoo or google for mesa stuff, Musician's Friend comes up top of the list, but they don't carry them. They insist checking out budda amps instead. :yuk:

Mesa won't let dealers sell online :(.

TheRiverFlowsFrozen said:
Is driving to cleveland out of the question?

I'm using a triple xxx cab with my MK1 5150 at the moment for live work. I have to admit, it sounds better than my old marshall I was using previously. It has quite a bright tight sound to it. It certainly compliments the mids of the 5150.
I'm tuned to G# and using a 31 band eq and an od808 so I'm not sure how your tone would differ to mine. I'm certainly not unhappy with it though (seeing as I didn't pay for the thing, hahaha). Well worth checking out.

All that said, I've still no idea how it sounds recorded, and if I could, I would probably plump for a mesa cab over it.