XXX hell yeah!!!

It's funny you guys mention the JSx, at work we have the JSx XXX and 6505, also, some info. on the JSx from the Peavey rep., when Joe Satriani was telling Peavey what he wanted out of the amp he asked them to make it a combination of the Peavey Windsor and the XXX. I guess he liked the clean of the Windsor, but as I understand it, the JSx is two amps in one IT IS A XXX.

I dont have the time to record a clip this week but Here is an old clip from a XXX http://www.allcapsrecording.com/media/xxx.mp3
and a 5150 comparison. The first half is the XXX and the second is the 5150.
In my ears the XXX sounds way better

Cheers / chris

EX - Regarding that clip, questions arise...

1. Active or passive pups?
2. Was an overdrive in use?
3. What were the volume levels at and do you think that could change the outcome if they were different?
4. Is that ringing I hear, the stings hanging from the headstock and moving around? It's quite annoying and distracting. :lol:
5. I hear a buzz in both amps. I guess that's just normal tube amp buzz?
6. Are you sure "The first half is the XXX and the second is the 5150"? :lol:

I've been planning on getting a 5150 but now...hmm...yeah, I'll probably still get one, I don't know.

I keep going back to this clip and yesterday I liked the 5150 more and today I like the XXX more...:erk: I need more clips. :lol:

By the way, thanks for the link crillemannen.

it was the 87 rg550 (see my avatar) with a seymour duncan parallel axis trembucker (passive)
tube screamer in front
TS9
drive 9 o'clock
tone noon
level noon

XXX settings (not o' clock)
crunch channel
master volume 8
hair 3.5
body 2
bottom 4.5
volume 8
gain 2.5

the master on 8 is pretty freakin loud, I like to get the speakers moving, you don't have to do that, but the lower the master volume the more fizz and less woof you get.

jcm800 cab with vintage 30's

I am sure its the xxx first (I double checked)

that warbly chirpy shit over the top I have no idea what caused that :loco:
it bugs me too

the buzz, well yeah its normal, they are both fairly quiet on their own but strap a 20 year old guitar in front of it with a shitty cord and you get a buzz, I wasnt trying for a grammy, I was just comparing the two amps haha

the buzz, well yeah its normal, they are both fairly quiet on their own but strap a 20 year old guitar in front of it with a shitty cord and you get a buzz, I wasnt trying for a grammy, I was just comparing the two amps haha

:lol: I know. Thanks for the info. My curiosity is satisfied now. :)

YES! The XXX is an evil bastard, my favorite amp, apart from the XSr. The XXX is the more "metal" amp in my opinion although I do love my XSr.

I used to play a xxx and a 5150II live together before I sold them to raise money for my Powerball and Savage120. I love both amps equally and different. Im still thinking of buying both amps again now and keep my Engls too. There is something about them. Great amps for sure. Especially for the money.