Help with my XXX

SyxStringSlayer

everybody'sX is my bitch
Aug 22, 2007
Camel Toe, NC
Okay i play the triple x through a jcm 900 cab. Emg 81 equiped eclipse or 85 equiped ibanez, 60 or 70 gauge strings ,Tuned to B.
It came with new shuguang el34 type b tubes.
And 12ax7 pre tubes, Either stock brand or same as power tubes.

Settings on a clock would be on teh crunch channel... I havnt really figured the active eq yet, And Im used to my old 5150 anyway, Which i MISS DEARLY.... Hers the xxx settings

Master- 2:00
Hair- 10:00
Body- 9:30
Bottom- 12:00
Channel Volume- 10:30
Channel Gain- 1:00

Anybody try that let me know how it sounds.

For me I cannot find a good setting Im happy with,
And btw I LOVE the new song on Black Dahlia Murders
Myspace page, That is a sound I would LOVE to get close
to on my XXX. Listen to it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need some help:zombie:
And taming some of the fizz
and mid harshness would be awesome:headbang:
I want that new black dahlia type sound:kickass:

Eq seems reasonable to me. Gain seems a bit high. I've found the XXX to have entirely too much gain. You don't mention your damping setting but I personally like the amp on 'loose.'
Doesn't the JCM900 cab have G12T75s? That might be part of the issue as well.

I have a similar xxx + emg 85+81 set up but my settings aren't anywhere near yours.

Master -5/10
Bass - 5/10
Mid - 10/10
Treb - 6/10
Channel - 7/10
Gain -3/10

thats what its at right now at least, I fiddle with it all the time. I will agree with previous poster though, you don't need much gain on this amp to get the desired results.
edit : I should also note that I used to crank all the settings (except gain, duh, I don't think I've changed it from 3-4 in the 2+ yrs I've had the amp) and that sounded frickin' great but since I have neighbors now thats not so good an option.

I pretty much copied the common 5150 Settings as recommended for the 5150 Red Channel with an OD808 and I am pretty happy with the tone.

I am almost worried there is still a bit much gain.

But it would be something like:

Master 3 o'clock or so.

Hair 2 o'clock
Body 11 o'clock
Bottom 2 o'clock
Gain 10 o'clock
Volume 12 o'clock

Back Presence switch in the middle position.

Fronted with a Maxon OD808
Overdrive 11 o'clock
Balance 12 o'clock
Tone 9 o'clock

This not only cleared up my fuzziness but also gave me so much more response in harmonics and my lead playing came out nicely.

That pedal is awesome with the XXX.

that active eq is a bitch, here's what I came up with head to head with a 5150 set to andy /colin's bullet for my valentine settings
I got them where I can overdub the two amps and not tell the difference :headbang: (well almost, 5150 has a sweeter mid-bite)

XXX settings (not o' clock)
crunch channel
master volume 8
hair 3.5
body 2
bottom 4.5
volume 8
gain 2.5

TS9
drive 9 o'clock
tone noon
level noon

damping in mid setting

JCM800 cab

58 on a v30 straight where the cap meets the cone

I was going to say the first clip is the XXX and the other a 5150.

At least thats what it sounded like on my most recent recording of XXX and 5150.

I felt that the XXX was brighter and clearer and the 5150 was a bit muddier.

And thats kinda how the mp3 felt.

So you have 2 opposite guesses.

So whats the answer? :p

-After listening to it again....

I almost want to swing the other way. Almost sounds like the first have is fuller and the second half is clearer.

Maybe its my cheap headphones.........

Ah the clip is xxx first 5150 second.

57 is straight on at the seam of the dustcap
those are just single tracks

Ibanez rg550 (in my avatar) with a seymour trembucker, dusted the old girl off haven't played her in a while,
the preamp is my soundtracs topaz project 8 board.

thanks for playing!

Very Interesting.....

They do both sound nice.

But as first insticts said, the XXX stould out a bit more to me.

In my own recording Experience the XXX sounded a bit better than the 5150.

But this was when applying the same Sneap/Collin settings to both amps. I am sure I can adjust each head individually to make one sound more like the other etc.

I remember at one point Andy said in an interview he was really stoked on the XXX at the moment.

Also notice the XXX in the SABBAT live photos recently.
Not sure who was using them.

But I think the XXX is a little under appreciated.

Im still buying a 5150 this week but it's the beauty of having both amps that I am looking forward to.

Thanks for the Comparison. :kickass:

This short demo I did was with a XXX on the left and 5150 on the right.

Its got a Line 6 POD Pro underneath both amps so its not completely fair to judge the amp tone. But as a whole, I liked the left side sound over the right side in the end.

Both with Absolutely No EQ on the XXX or 5150, just an SM57 on the outside edge of the dust cap on a V30 into my Mackie 8 bus board.

http://www.forktung.com/track02.mp3

no problem man, I really want a 5150 also, but I am happy I can get what I need from the xxx, especially since the prick who loaned me the 5150 won't sell it!
I'm just a gearslut!

I hear ya,

I had a 5150 and an Ampeg VL1002 and sold both.

Now I have bought a VL1002 and Friday am getting a 5150 again.

So those plus my Madison Divinity and XXX will be 4 tube heads.

Next I hope to save for a Framus Cobra and then an Engl but im not decided on whether to get a Savage 120, Powerball or SE.

The pic James Murphy has with a reamp setup of a Cobra, VHT Pitbull and a Krankenstein makes me a bit jealous.

I want them all!:zombie: