5150 settings

You WILL NOT get Arch Enemy or In flames sounds from a regular setup. they've got other shit setup to play with their sound. Alot of their tone comes from studio work. I know In Flames put Marshall Pedals in front of their amps to get that tone.

I tested a 5150 in a music-store some time ago (not very long though) an compared it to the ENGL Fireball. I thought it was ok, but the fireball sounded better to me (not much, but it did). of course, that may also be, beecause i'm an ENGL-fan ;)

i played 5150 couple of times and recorded some tracks on it. it has very very good sound, if your thing is metal then look no further imo.
in flames, at the gates and many others used and still use 5150 because of that high gain, middle-type-distortion.
this was my set on some gig:
rhythm - pregain 4
lead - pregain 6
EQ low 10
EQ mid 7
EQ high 6
rhythm - post gain 10
lead - post gain 3.5
power amp - resonance 10
power amp - presence 9

i play epiphone les paul classic, so i set this up to my taste.. you might want some other sound. (if you have ibanez or esp or sth more in the midtones)
pay attention that turning post gain knob up and down changes the sound.

good luck!
cheerz

discouraged1 said:
i played 5150 couple of times and recorded some tracks on it. it has very very good sound, if your thing is metal then look no further imo.
in flames, at the gates and many others used and still use 5150 because of that high gain, middle-type-distortion.
this was my set on some gig:
rhythm - pregain 4
lead - pregain 6
EQ low 10
EQ mid 7
EQ high 6
rhythm - post gain 10
lead - post gain 3.5
power amp - resonance 10
power amp - presence 9

i play epiphone les paul classic, so i set this up to my taste.. you might want some other sound. (if you have ibanez or esp or sth more in the midtones)
pay attention that turning post gain knob up and down changes the sound.

good luck!
cheerz
thanks for being the only person with a decent reply.

i believe the guys from in flames use pods with their amps.

so that might change the sound.

i never had a good experience with a 5150. i just couldnt get it to sound good.

i know this thread is kind of old, but i own a 5150 and i seem to have finally gotten a good tone out of it and i wanted to post how i run it.

i have the 5150 setting on the rhythm channel, crunch on, bright on, pregain on 7. post on 4. resonance on 1 or so i think, and presense around 8. i run a maxon od808 (ala killswitch engage/shadows fall) before the "normal gain" line in with the overdrive on 1. in the effects loop i have a 15 band dbx eq unit followed by a rocktron xpression w/ speaker simulation on (not sure how much of a difference the speaker sim makes). the EQ i pretty much have everything flat except i barely to lightly notch out some of the mids and highs.

the eq on the 5150 is something like bass 6, mid 1, high 9. oh and its not a 5150 II. its the orignal signature model (not block letter EVH)

i get NO feedback whatsoever. my tubes are jj teslas, altough i didnt really notice much of a difference between these and the groove tubes (preamp) and mesa tubes (power amp) that were in there before..

it took me a couple months to get a tone i like that would fit with my other guitarist who plays through a line 6 pod. it was a question of killing the buzz and the flub. the EQ settings killed the buzz for the most part, and the maxon killed the flub which tightened up to sound when i do something like chug on a palm muted low e.

also im playing through an avatar 4x12 cabinet with celestions. 2 vintage 30s and 2 classic lead 80s. i think that playing through a 5150 cab would be a better idea. seems like my research has shown that the 5150 cab just matches up well to the head.

i hope this helps someone.

Sex Machine said:
i believe the guys from in flames use pods with their amps.

so that might change the sound.

i never had a good experience with a 5150. i just couldnt get it to sound good.
Bjorn uses the old POD, I dont believe jester does.

Jeffy said:
Bjorn uses the old POD, I dont believe jester does.
Actually, no, he uses the POD XT Pro.

in_flames_040418_03.jpg