5150, Triple Rec, or JCM 800???

crazykarl

Captain Insano
Feb 16, 2009
US of A
I'm faced with a difficult decision. I love the 5150 and it's a staple head in our studio, has the clarity and noise reduction mods. However the guitarist is bringing in a Triple Rectifier and a JCM 800. In their practice space, the JCM sounds pretty damn good for the material they're playing. It's death metal at about 240 bpm.

I've never done anything with a Triple Rec before, but I really dig what I've heard from Dual Recs in the past. Obviously we're going to try everything and follow our ears to what's best, but it's always good to have some 3rd party input.

What are your experiences with these three heads and which way would you go? (I'm leaning towards the 5150 as of now)

Cabs are: Mesa 3/4 size cab with celestions, Line 6 full size cab, marshall 4x12 3/4 size with celestions.

It's just what voicing you prefer.
I'm sure you can just try them all out and see which one is the preferred in the end? Don't have to settle for just one without trying all 3 in the studio.

Personally, I think the Recto captures that modern death metal sound the best, rhythm guitar wise, because it just has that low mid quality to it that crushes.
I think your leaning towards the 5150 is not a bad idea at all. I think perhaps it's a toss up between the Recto and 5150, the JCM 800 is definitely more old school sounding.

Difficult decision? I'd be more inclined to say you're a lucky bastard :p

You've got 3 seriously good amps available for recording, Normally I have a choice of my XXX or a crate combo :puke:

Marshall won't have the lower mid grunt of the other two, its more high mid focused and is obviously more old school sounding.

Track the guitars DI first, then do a bit of reamping and see what two amps blend together best for the sound they're looking for.

Track four tracks.
One track of Recto in each channel.
One track of 5150 in the left channel
One track of JCM800 in the right channel.

Now you've used all amps and did not have to choose. TADA!!

Remember to put the precense at max 9 o clock on modern red if it's a 3ch recto,

I'm not a big help, cause I love all three of them...
like everyone said....track the DI...reamping is the most fun thing in the whole prodution process ;)

also try the Metalzone as a boost...here is how the Recto sounds when bossted with the mz....
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...school-ish-death-metal-you-mesa-marshall.html

the 5150 is great fore more modern stuff (deathcore) and the 800 is great for being an 800 and having that certain sound...I'm definitely gonna be using mine more often in the future

Track four tracks.
One track of Recto in each channel.
One track of 5150 in the left channel
One track of JCM800 in the right channel.

Now you've used all amps and did not have to choose. TADA!!

Remember to put the precense at max 9 o clock on modern red if it's a 3ch recto,

Presence:heh: