6505, 6505+ bias modded worth it?

Calippo Tecks

Feb 6, 2005
Belgium
I'm currently looking into getting a 6505(+)
atm I know someone that sells his 6505+ with a bias mod.

I played a 6505+ once and found it very good out of the box without using a tubescreamer so I really don't know if the bias mod would be actually better?

Clips of comparison between bias modded and normal bias settings would be awesome, I don't know if anyone made a comparison of that yet.

What about reliability, does the 6505 or 6505+ have any issues I should take note of?

The low bias of the 6505 series means tons of crossover distortion, which is highly unmusical. Get the amp biased correctly and add an overdrive boost in the front end and you are in god mode. I would highly recommend the bias mod, even thought here are many purists here that claim the amp doesn't need it and if you don't like crossover distortion than the amp is not for you. I personally don't believe that to be the case, I like the preamp tonality but hate the crossover distortion, just a personal preference though, so take that with a grain of salt as your mileage may very.

In terms of reliability, the Screen Grid Resistors tend to go out when the power tubes do, an easy fix if to go to the fender value and replace the 4 100 ohm resistors when one goes out with 4 470 ohm 5 watt metal film resistor. And the fx jacks can oxidize over time and cause some issues, but a deoxidizing electrical contact cleaner will fix you up. Other than that, they are build like fucking tanks.