6505 MH, Thoughts please.

Inferno!

New Metal Member
Sep 6, 2016
Hi everyone! I stumbled across this forum a few weeks back and finally decided to make an account and join the community, Thank you in advance for your warm welcomes.

So I've been playing guitar off and on for many years better than half my life (25 Yrs old) and in the last 5 or so years I've gotten a lot more serious about it. This is one of my first actual tube amps, I used a fractal audio axe-fx ii for a long time due to the versatility of them. Anyway I bought this 6505 mini head so I'd have an actual tube amp again, but yet one that was small enough that I could get a good sound out of it without killing myself or the wife or neighbors lol. I'd like some advice with settings if anyone has any experience with this amp or its big brothers 6505/6505+/5150/5150 ii, I would have to imagine its not so different from them barring Size/Power. My setup is currently 6505 MH/ 1x12 Peavey Celestation Green Back speaker, Ibanez Prestige RG655 with TB-5 Bridge/SSL6 Middle/SH-5 Neck. And for peddles I'm using a standard TS9 and an ISP Decimator 2 G-String (Noise Gate).

One of my first thoughts about the 6505 is for metal is its unusable without a clean boost. I mean its just not good without one really no matter how I have it set. So i'm running the clean boost as a constant with the drive on 0 and the level maxed, tones at 12 noon. Is this other peoples experience with this amp? That its basically unplayable without a boost?

I'd like to dial in a decent Master of Puppets kinda sound as a baseline and I think if someone can help me get there I can navigate from there forward. Honestly I almost feel like I should have saved my money and put it towards a Mark 5 25 which will be my next purchase. Any thoughts on Mesa's lunch box amps would be helpful too! Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

I have had it for a short while and just was not happy with it. Then bought a 5150 1 and all was well. Just missed headroom and warmth of the small one.