6505 problem HELP!

seahawk29

New Metal Member
Jun 10, 2007
Hey guys. I got me a problem with my 6505 and i need help trying to figure out what it is. So i bought my 6505 head a little over a year ago used at a local shop for a really god deal. No issues at all until maybe a month ago. I started getting some crackling here and there sometimes usually when i would take the amp off of standby after warming up. Went away after a few seconds. I figured it was probably a dirty fx loop or something since i had been using it recently with a holy grail reverb. I figured it was also time to change tubes as well so ordered a JJ gold pin replacement set from eurotubes. I changed both the power and preamp tubes cleaning the tube slots and jacks with contact cleaner at the same time. The noise didnt go away and actually became more frequent. It still wasnt that big a deal tho as it went away after a lil while. Amp sounded great with the new tubes too. So the other day i turned the amp on after not playing it for a few days and somethings up. Its still making the crackling noises now i have extremely low volume and the post knobs do barely nothing. The volume of the head sounds as if u have the post volume at 0. The footswitch also is not able to change channels or turn the fx loop on/off. I am able to use the channel select button on the amp tho. I figured the fx loop was still the culprit and i cleaned it again as well as tried patching the send and return but nothing is working. The power tubes look ok to me and i havent looked at the pres yet. Any ideas????

woo that sucks

have you tried a different socket in the wall? sometimes an electrical ring in your house is already overloaded and we all know not having the right amount of juice and effect your instruments in strange ways.

but i have a feeling its a lot more then that, could be a transistor inside ready to go, have you opened the bitch right up and checked the circuitry for burn marks and scorches?

if you can get a refund if your show will allow it, otherwise bring it to a repair guy. if you dont know jack shit about electronics dont touch it or 1: you'll do more damage or 2: you'll kill yourself

i also strongly dont recommend you keep it on until its fixed up because if its a problem with the load not dispensing you can do some serious damage there.

also is your cab / speakers fucked? could be a reason for the crackling, have you checked for shorts in the wiring on the foot switch and the cable from the head to the cab?

shame, i hate to see a 6505 go wrong, i love mine so much

i had similar problems with my 6505 and Peavey replaced it. The replacement also had problems. 6505 does not have the quality of the 5150. i think Peavey nowadays have QC issues....