6505 starting to fart a little when turned off.

~BURNY~

Apr 20, 2005
It does nothing special when on or in standby but when I turn it

off (after going through the standby routine), it does that ugly noise like

someone is walking on empty plastic bottles for a few seconds then it fades out.

I really don't like that. The amp is only a few years old and never left the room.

Any ideas?

Last retubing?

Never but I highly doubt that's the problem. There's no sudden volume drops, microphonic noises and such. Like I said it's only a two years old and It's used sparingly to say the least.

Actually upon further investigation it's not even two years old yet, it's 1 and a half.

I thought that was normal with these amps. I have an original 5150 that does this too. I've had it looked at by 2 different amp techs and both of them say that it's normal for this amp. But I (and they) could be wrong.

Just tried to record it and this time it only made a mere pop... Only thing that changed was that I raised the post gain... Weird.

Well I can't replicate it since I moved the post pot so hopefully the fart is gone forever... Fengas crossed...

The popping or swooshing when turning off a tube amp is normal. Its just a ripple in the filter caps draining. Sometimes it may happen sometimes it may not. Depends on the quality and age of the caps.