6505+ problem......the usual jack inconvenient?

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
*inconvenience :)
Yesterday I was doing some reamping... 6505 near me and the cabs in another room.
While I was changin' the settings turning the pots (the DI was playing through the amp) the sound disappeared...the only sound I heard was the riff through the tubes (yes they produce sound if you don't know).
Panic!!! I tried to turn off and turn on,standby on and off....after awhile,when I switched off the standby, it produce the sound of my guitar but immediately disappeared.
At this point I tried to push and pull a jack into the send and returns....just to try (without contact cleaner)....nothing.
The last try was turning the pots....and when I turned the gain pot left and right 2-3 times....the sound returned.
Now...I don't know if the gain pot can completely turn off the volume, because when I put the gain at 0, the amp produce a noticeable sound...in my case it was completely off. Moreover when I tried to reamp to check another problems, turning the gain another time the amp gave me the impression to have a little volume variation..
It was very weird....now I'll check if it will do that again...
Anyway, what should it be? Could it be the "gain" preamp tube with some problem? Or could a dirty pot, cut out completely the sound?
It could also be the usual send-return problem...

Anyway I think it's the loop effect problem...monday I'll use a jack with contact cleaner and I'll see if it'll happen again....it was very weird that the volume drop happened when I turned the gain pot....don't know if it was a coincidence or if it's the problem's cause..