6505 problem, tube issue??

Jaymz

Stymphalian Productions
May 20, 2006
York
www.facebook.com
Hey guys,

Just picked up my 6505 *second hand* got it home played through it for about 10 minutes no problem then the gain just totally dropped, it had gain but no volume, bit like turning the volume to 0 but you still hear the gain through it. Then when this happens if I switch the amp to standby a big distorted noise comes out and a large pop, like when you change channels on a Boogie.

Also when its on but in a idle state it makes a lot of funny noises.

Sound like a tube issue or something worse??

:cry:

Sounds like what happened when I got my used Dual Rec with shot power tubes, a swap fixed it right up! Why not drop the tubes from your Recto in there and see if it works? ;)

I may as well add, if I put the amp to standby and it gives me the whole crack bang and whollop once I switch it off standby and play its fine again for another 10 or so minutes.

Pretty much typical powertube issue?

Being a tube noob I don't feel confident opening 1 amp nevermind 2. Ive read on the net people say you gotta check this n that and bias and all this jargon otherwise your new tubes will blow.

Being a tube noob I don't feel confident opening 1 amp nevermind 2. Ive read on the net people say you gotta check this n that and bias and all this jargon otherwise your new tubes will blow.

Nah man, just pull the 4 power tubes and drop new ones in. That's it. 5150's are fixed bias with no adjustment, so you don't have to worry about that.

Ah thats good to know, im ok with guitars but amps that have the capability of making loud bangs and exploding I stay wayyy clear of. Ive just messaged Peavey customer service so ill see what they have to say.

Otherwise its a new set of power tubes :( Why can't I ever buy something that is perfect straight off the bat? lol

Mark had similar problems with his 6505 when he got them aswell.

In general, probably at least 90% of all tube amp issues are related to a tube failure. Everything you describe sounds like classic tube failure symptoms.

-Volume cuts in and out
-Static, crackling noises, pops, etc.

Wouldn't hurt to give it a complete retube since it's a used amp. But yeah, I'd start with the power tubes. They fail more often than preamp tubes.

Ok you guys will know your tubes, any recommendations to which power tubes that are good yet decently priced I should look into? Search is shite and I don't want to create a new thread.

Yes. Nice price too

sorry i made a mistake in my previous post:rolleyes: fixed now

But i would say to check which one is the bad one and keep the rest just in case(if of course you are going to change them all)

Yeah, seems like they are an improved version of whats on Thomann. Just to make sure, they say "The valve is comfortable with 500vdc plate voltage" that ok for the 6505 then?

What's up with Peavey and all the tube issues lately? Seems like every third 6505 and every second Windsor comes with shot tubes these days.