Peavey 5150/6505 Question

RockGuitarX

Miles of Machines
Sep 14, 2008
SA Texas, USA
When I first got my 6505 (3 weeks ago) it was extremely loud at volume 1 and now it seems I have turn it up to volume 2 or 3 on the post gain for both channels to get the same volume I once had. I noticed a very similar problem on my former JSX head... Maybe I'm just getting used to a loud amp..? I don't know what's up!? Is it my effects loop? (consists of DBX 15 Band EQ and ISP Decimator) Tubes? I turn it on with power on and then standby and I cut it off with just the power out. I know many of you have this head so I hope someone can help me with this one :confused:

The effects loop on the 5150 is -10db, could that be the difference ? See if it is as loud as you remember when there is nothing else plugged in but guitar-amp-cab.
Although it's unlikely on a new amp, clean the fx loop jacks really well, a little dirt/corrosion can do weird things too.
Other than that, 'fraid I'm not much help, sorry

turn off your ISP and play for about 1 minute and see if it gets louder, my boss ns2 gate drops my volume in my noise gate of my peavey 6505+.

it could very well be that you have just become accustomed to your new amp, or perhaps your using a different guitar now? your old guitar had hotter pickups? you can always boost your volume on your DBX EQ and if you notice you start hearing more shit in the tone just eq it out slightly. on my peavey my FX loop does not drop my volume but instead sucks a tiny bit of tone from my guitar, when its active i loose a tiny amount of my high end frequencies, i mean seriously small, im going to EQ them back in but i want a 31 band eq, i only have a 15 band one and its not precise enough.

Ya well it's not dirty that's for sure.. it's new! hehe But ya I don't know I tried unplugging the effects loop and it did get slightly louder... thanks for the advice man :headbang:

you sir, have been deafened by the roar of the 5150 and now need more!!! :D

:lol: Ya I'm thinkin that might be the problem!

BTW I'm not too familiar with amp components, so I was wondering what the block looking "things" are inside all the Peavey heads I've owned. They're like a forest green color and there's two of them on each end of the inside of the head. Anyways, I when I finally got a good 6505 returned I noticed mine are all scratched up... but I don't if that matters?

When you say "inside the amp," do you mean when looking at all the guts on the underside after pulling the chassis from the headshell?

DSC01157.jpg

DSC01158.jpg

OH!!!! Hahahaha, those would be the transformers dude, the power transformer (essentially converting wall power to amp-friendly power, both SS and t00b amps have these) is above the power cable (in this case on the left), and the output transformer (converting the t00b power to power that can be sent out to a cab, only t00b amps have these) is above the speaker outputs (in this case on the right). The transformers are by and large what account for the absurd weight of t00b amps, cuz they have to be super-beefy (the beefier the better, hence why better amps usually weigh more) to supply the absurd amount of power needed by t00bz, which are a hideously inefficient means of amplification (but DAMN do they sound good! :))

OH!!!! Hahahaha, those would be the transformers dude, the power transformer (essentially converting wall power to amp-friendly power, both SS and t00b amps have these) is above the power cable (in this case on the left), and the output transformer (converting the t00b power to power that can be sent out to a cab, only t00b amps have these) is above the speaker outputs (in this case on the right). The transformers are by and large what account for the absurd weight of t00b amps, cuz they have to be super-beefy (the beefier the better, hence why better amps usually weigh more) to supply the absurd amount of power needed by t00bz, which are a hideously inefficient means of amplification (but DAMN do they sound good! :))

Ya learn something new everyday :) BTW Does is matter that they are poorly covered in glue and all scratched up? (I know it's what I get for buying a new Peavey) :lol:

Did those Ruby's come stock, by the way?

Yeah, on the 3 that have come in fucked up, they all come with Ruby's stock.

Ditch it definitely is my vote, either of those amps will have way more attitude and grind/bark/snarl :) And I wouldn't worry about the glue or whatever on the transformers, the inside is what matters, and its just iron and a fuckload of wire AFAIK!

Krank Rev 1

What's the difference with the Rev 1 and the new one? I found this on ebay.. seems like a good deal to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Krank-Revolution-Series-1-Amplifier-Head-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ300275891693QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item300275891693&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Hmm, that is a good deal - I know the newer ones have better transformers (and 120 watts over 100), and have heard on the Krank forums about people noticing a better sound after they sent their original Rev 1's back to Krank to have the transformers upgraded (could just be psychological though; I can believe the difference is there, but how significant it is is another story). For me, the deal breaker of Kranks is that you can't toggle the loop on and off (like on a Recto or Peavey); I need to have a delay pedal sitting in my loop on top of my amp, and just switch the loop on or off via the amp's footswitch. Plus, the Recto has a separate master volume for when the loop is active, so IOW, with one button press turning the loop on, I'll get delay AND a volume boost for solos - that amp rules!!

I disagree. I have both the 5150 & the Recto, and the 5150 winds up on 90% of the records that call for a hi-gain amp. It has far more attitude, IMO.

Yeah, I've noticed you very often seem to use the 5150 Oz - however, I tend to think that you and I have different tastes in tones, cuz IMO I hear a lot of fizz/buzz in the clips you've posted on here (including "Muppets," though that's probably not the best example of your typical tone :)). Obviously I'm sure your capable of getting any number of different tones, but I figure since I hear that type so often in your stuff that's the type you tend to favor, which isn't to my taste - I prefer more of a bark to a sizzle. But certainly not criticizing your abilities dude!