6505 problem, tube issue??

Well no, a quad matched pair would be 8 tubes, a little overkill :D But yes, a matched quad or two matched pairs are both fine

Yeah, they should be fine - that website is horrendously disorganized though, is the only way to shop for tubes going through a 19 page list or choosing by manufacturer? (rather than, you know, tube type :Smug: )

Yeah its shite, but its UK and I got it recommended. Least ive found the right ones on it, will put the order in for these tommorow :) Thanks Marcus & Co!

Yeah dude.Just remember to try out which one is the bad one, and keep the rest.
Power tubes have way less lifetime than preamp tubes.Keep the spare ones just in case,for the future:)

No problem man, hope it works out! However...

Yeah dude.Just remember to try out which one is the bad one, and keep the rest.
Power tubes have way less lifetime than preamp tubes.Keep the spare ones just in case,for the future:)

This I would not recommend; keep two working ones but ditch the third (assuming it's just one that's a dud), power tubes need to be matched in multiples of two

No problem man, hope it works out! However...

This I would not recommend; keep two working ones but ditch the third (assuming it's just one that's a dud), power tubes need to be matched in multiples of two

yeah they do, but ive been fine and got by just slamming any old thing in my old amps (mixed measurements from the tubes), however i'd retube in pairs fo sho if i could afford it and didnt want to have long run tonal and electrical damage!!

Not to hijack the threat but one of the guitarist I'm playing with also has a strange issue with his 5150: after a while the volume and gain increases somewhat (quite noticable, through not as extreme as going from near silent to very loud, more like going up a few db) and the whole amp sounds a lot cleaner and tighter. It only happens after like half an hour or longer. Any clues on what this might be?

Nah man, just pull the 4 power tubes and drop new ones in. That's it. 5150's are fixed bias with no adjustment, so you don't have to worry about that.

Actually 5150/6505 (combos at least) are cathode bias ;) It's a kind of mixup in the original terming for bias modes: when an amp is fixed bias, then it requires manual (turning the knob with a screwdriver) bias adjustment. Cathode bias amps don't need biasing, because they are self-adjusting. Of course many people mod their 5150/6505 to fixed bias, so they can adjust the bias = change the sound.

Edit:
Hmm, looks like the 5150 head is a very special beast actually:

FIXED BIAS is what the Peavey 5150 uses on the power tubes and even though the name sounds like you can't adjust the bias, often you can and SHOULD. The issue with the Peavey 5150 is that some bright engineer at Peavey decided to set the bias FOR YOU using a fixed resistor instead of a variable resistor (commonly called a potentiometer)

So, it's kind of like a mixture of both :zombie: If you swap the resistor with a variable one, then you can adjust the bias on the 5150/6505 :)

Sorry i wasn't very clear on this.:p
I was talking about, lets say recording with a deadline and having the amp take a shit on you at the last minute.Of course putting in and old replacement tube is not a permanent solution, but it'll do the job:)

I had it open today and one of the power tubes was slightly wonky....I straightend it up and give it a decent amount of play time and its not had the same problem again.....so far so good....not sure if that was a big enough difference to have caused the problem though! Will keep an eye on it :)

Nice, hope it keeps up. Can imagine the disappointment of not being able to truely enjoy your new amp because of issues such as these.

Anyone got any ideas on this:

Not to hijack the threat but one of the guitarist I'm playing with also has a strange issue with his 5150: after a while the volume and gain increases somewhat (quite noticable, through not as extreme as going from near silent to very loud, more like going up a few db) and the whole amp sounds a lot cleaner and tighter. It only happens after like half an hour or longer. Any clues on what this might be?

....Clean the FX loop jacks....really.....common problem that causes the aforementioned volume/gain/bottom end dropouts, crackling and a bunch of other weirdness. And the fix is free if you've got a can on DeOxit/electrical contact cleaner around......................

Nice, hope it keeps up. Can imagine the disappointment of not being able to truely enjoy your new amp because of issues such as these.

Anyone got any ideas on this:

Yep, I had the same problem with my 5150, could never work out the exact cause but I got a new set of power and preamp tubes and it was fine after that.

Is the 5150/6505 like the JSX in that the FX loop enabled as a positive effect? Ive tried it on and it seems to change the tone but im not sure if its for the better. Does everybody else leave theirs on or off?