6505+ tubes (problem?)

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
I wrote the same thing in the Tachy's thread but I think it's better to open another thread.
Recently I bought a pretty new 6505+. Yesterday I checked out the preamp tubes and it has:

Sovtek 12ax7LPS | Sovtek 12ax7LPS | JJ ECC83 | JJ ECC83 | JJ ECC83 | JJ ECC83

(And 4 RUBY 6L6)

I noticed that the last 2 tubes (the 2 Sovtek I suppose, because they are the farther from the input) have no light inside the bulbs wheres the other 4 have normal light inside. I think the firts tube at left is the phase inverter and the 2nd is the fx loop.

Is it normal that these 2 tubes have no light?

Maybe they're there just for the looks? Wouldn't be unheard of. :err:

surely not, but wouldn't that be something :zombie:

My friend have a Peavey JSX it has 2 Sovtek LPS in preamp, and I've noticed the same problem, but when I try to remove them the amp it stop to work.
Therefore I suppose that that the LPS it works in this way.

I think is normal, Xes, some preamp tubes show you no light, or a very very little light, but they works, I notice that in my framus cobra, all the preamps tubes have no light....just a litlle, but they works good.......

LOL @ the ruby's. I saw that plate voltage thing in the other thread. Those tubes are shit. Change 'em fast and your 6505+ will be in much better shape.

From the Tube Store site

"[FONT=arial, helvetica]From our review of this 12AX7 tube: "This is an entirely new 12AX7 design from Sovtek and a great step up in sound quality. They have very large ribbed plates and great sound reproduction. I found them very smooth and well balanced in terms of bass, mids and treble response. The large plates make them more prone to microphonics and in combo amps, so they can be a problem if you like to run things wide open. It is still the best thing Sovtek has produced in a 12AX7, with very good gain and low noise.
I would advise against using them in compact high-powered combo amps where they will be subjected to lots of vibration. One other note about the construction of these tubes is they have filaments that are almost completely encased in the plate structure. They often don't "light up" when working properly. This is not a problem, it's normal for the LPS."
[/FONT]

I thought 6505 had EH12AX7 on preamp, at least my old XXX had them.
I am now running a 6505 + tomorrow I´ll check which brand it has...by the way, any recommendation for a tube change???
I use to use JJ12AX7 and JJ6L6GC for my XXX, any idea on 6505??? May be a JJ12AX7 Gold plated sound better than standar JJ12AX7..........¿?

I guess high gain is not an option for me....I only use pre gain at 3.5 plus my Od808....so more gain....uffff!
One thing I´d like is to improve is the clean channel, I don´t know what I could do to tame it a bit, and sounds more "musical"...these clean passages from Machine Head....I cannot believe that´s a 5150....

I don't think the hi-gain kit adds more gain to the head.
For the clean channel I think put an 12at7 in one of the slots (don't remember which one) can improve something