70,000 Tons?

Jolty

Monochromatic Stains
Dec 27, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.last.fm
I'm probably just talking to myself at this point, but has anyone from this forum ever been to 70,000 Tons of Metal?

I'm thinking of going in 2016, (regardless of whether or not DT plays -- it would be nice if they did, but I'm not counting on it) and I'd definitely be interested in meeting up with some forum members.

You're not much of a gamer, mostly for financial reasons, but cruise ship festivals are fine? o_O

I have no idea yet, 2016 is still so far out, heh. Who knows where I'll be.. if I have time and money I might go, although I've never been on a cruise ship in my life :tickled:

I've been on all five 70,000 Tons cruises.

Hoping to make #6, but that will all depend on finances. The Australian Dollar has crashed heavily against the US over the last 12 months meaning the cruise will cost significantly more for me.

But yeah if you have any questions, ask away!

Things to be aware of/things of note

- the organiser, Andy Piller, is a bit of a dick. He will drag out announcements, he will randomly go missing for sometimes months on end and no bands at all will be announced, he clearly has 'pet bands' and genres that he leans towards, he will make promises and break them ("special gifts for veteran cruisers", "I won't drag out announcements like I did last year") etc.

- yes it really is like everyone has a backstage pass. You'll see and talk to bands at gigs, in elevators, over dinner, etc.

- as its 'grown', there to me seems to get more of a 'dickhead' element to the crowd every year. Probably same as every other festival I guess....

- no its not a "sausage fest" as some commenters who have never been always seem to think it is. I think the male/female ratio is about 60/40. If thats important to you.

- especially if you are new, get to Florida a few days early and participate in the pre-cruise gigs, beach parties etc. Great way to meet people and break the ice because once you get on the ship its go go go!

And finally, each time Dark Tranquillity has played on 70k has been fucking awesome!