7000 Tons Cruise: Band schedule (ouch to a few bands)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I leave in twenty minutes for the airport, I'm pumped! I've been counting down for hundreds of days never thinking the day would come. I don't think there's any way to have over 40 bands on board and not have some sort of conflict. I went down the list highlighting what I want to see, and there was only one time I was having trouble choosing.

And yes, each band plays twice, most have confirmed they're doing different setlists, i.e. Saxon is doing two albums, Iced Earth is doing about two dozen fan favourites.

edit: I actually don't think it's going to be a sausage party at all, half the people I know who are going so far are female. I wouldn't even care if it was though.

I expect after this I'll have to hibernate until ProgPower just to get up the energy for another kickass show. The schedule is definitely an odd one, but after looking at it extensively I think I'm gonna manage to see all the bands I want at least once.

Only a few more days! :hotjump:

Docked and departed by 0800 that morning. Straight to the airport. Hit traffic in NYC that afternoon. Hit the venue and soundcheck right before doors.

Easy!

LOL!!!!!!!

Sleep? Who needs sleep...?

Certainly not their crew! :Spin: I wonder what kind of crew they have with all these stages? While I would LOVE to be on this cruise in fanboi mode, the more I see these multi-stage setups, the more I really appreciate a fest running all afternoon/evening on ONE stage at a time....

seems kind of like to much trouble to me, like i wouldn't be able to have a very good time. Maybe better if not that many bands playing.

Certainly not their crew! :Spin: I wonder what kind of crew they have with all these stages? While I would LOVE to be on this cruise in fanboi mode, the more I see these multi-stage setups, the more I really appreciate a fest running all afternoon/evening on ONE stage at a time....

Yeah I mean, the multi-stage model with crammed in set times and overlaps is more predominant than this festival's model. Both have their pros and cons for sure for the fan, but for the crew it must be a nightmare getting a multi-stage setup to run smoothly.

And what concerts have you ever attended where the bands ACTUALLY perform in the timeslot published? Really?

Mr. Harvester runs a freakingly awesome show, with really good logistics... and the start times are rough estimates at best. I anticipate a lot of people making elaborate plans as to how to cram as many shows into their schedule as possible... only to miss a lot.

That cruise would be a lot more fun for the person who just wanders around with an open mind, with maybe 2-3 MUST SEE shows, and otherwise just enjoys the music. Sort of like how I approach PP USA. Whether I'm in a seat, in the Merch Room, drinking a beer with a bass player from Denmark, or in the Pit, I am having a blast.

And what concerts have you ever attended where the bands ACTUALLY perform in the timeslot published? Really?

Plenty?

I mean come on, ProgPower is fun, and Glenn runs a tight ship, but it's not like he's the only good promoter in the entire universe. Lots of festivals are punctual. Although I do like the PP format better since I don't have to worry about missing bands I like.

lol I don't think there's a single show that I've been to where the bands don't perform on schedule. Every once in a while it happens, but majorly it's the case where everything is a pretty tight. In fact, the shows that I have been when the schedule was not really paid attention to were shows with 2 or 3 bands. The shows with multiple bands are actually run the tightest for obvious reasons.

As Glenn put it before.....they'd better have plenty of spare gear on hand, because it's a looong way to the nearest Guitar Center for replacement stuff.

Since I have prior experience (last October) with this same ship, I'm really looking forward to hearing how this thing turned out. (I did give the ship's crew a heads-up about the 'weird whole-boat charter coming up in January,' though, :heh: )

That would be a blast if it were 15 years ago. I do not know if I could survive that show. I probably wouldn't listen to metal music for a week after I go off the ship. That is just too much...... for me. If the promoter can pull that schedule off, I will be absolutely amazed.

Bryant

Lots of festivals are punctual.
And few more so than Sweden Rock. Several crew members told us there is a competition between the crews and whoever has the least minutes off the schedule gets treated to a party from the others. These are Swedes. This is huge. Woe to the band that doesn't get their ass on or off the stage on time. These crew's have no patience or fan boy leniency for any of them.

Now that the cruise is in full swing, surely someone can give a report?

And few more so than Sweden Rock. Several crew members told us there is a competition between the crews and whoever has the least minutes off the schedule gets treated to a party from the others. These are Swedes. This is huge. Woe to the band that doesn't get their ass on or off the stage on time. These crew's have no patience or fan boy leniency for any of them.

Now that the cruise is in full swing, surely someone can give a report?

A visual, "hot-off-the-press" report can be seen at MusicPix.net (via Nuclear Blast press release):

http://www.musicpix.net/index.php/n...s_to_you_70000_tons_of_metal_musicpix_update/

My head asplode. That's some crazy scheduling. Circle II Circle at 10AM? Is anyone actually going to be awake for that? That's a rough time slot to have.

The promoters of this cruise are insane for tackling such a project. If I had a hat, I would tip my hat to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.