8 String Chugs W/6505+ Need a little input

zildjianmatt

Studio Awesome!
Nov 27, 2009
Hi everyone,

Here is a snipppppit of a tune I have been working on. I am not a guitarist so please excuse the playing.

I want some feedback on the tone. My ears are kuput right now and I would like to hear what you think on your speakers It could use.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3225053/Chugs.mp3

Guitar Chain is:

Agile 8 String > Ts808 > 6505+ (redchannel) > Diamond V30 cab > Sm57 (halfway on cone)/421 Mk2 (off cone) > Presonus Eureka(s).

Of coarse there is HP/LP Post Eq going on, but nothing above the norm.

Your input would be greatly appriciated. I have been working hard the last few months trying to get a slamming tone/mix going on, and anything would help!

Rock!

Forgot to add, that I'm really tryng to get that "cutting/Spank" kind of tone out of this. Ya know the kind of guitar tone that just comes out and rips your face off?

Hope that helps in some way!

Cheers!

Slamming sound!

I played a Stef Carpenter 8 string through a 6505 in a shop once and I have to say, I was amazed at how good the combination was.

It's nice to hear some riffs in this style that aren't done on a POD with the Big Bottom model. Keep it up man.

Slamming sound!

I played a Stef Carpenter 8 string through a 6505 in a shop once and I have to say, I was amazed at how good the combination was.

It's nice to hear some riffs in this style that aren't done on a POD with the Big Bottom model. Keep it up man.

Carpenter has an 8 string no shit?!?! I'll have to check that out!

Thanks for the kind words, yeah man getting real tired of the pod lately hahah :D

Def will keep it jammin! :kickass:

The best guitar tone i have heard on this forum.. those open chugs are ridiculous. After The Burial written all over that.

Yeah, sounds pretty stinking heavy dude. I think if you dropped some nice gritty bass in there, it would sound massive. I don't think you need to change much about the guitar tone, if anything it would just sound nice to have a much more airtight performance with the double tracking. What are the kick and snare samples? I like the snare in particular...not too fat or too thin sounding, with a really nice smack to it.

Great tone on the gtrs!

Big old +1 on that snare. Any chance of a sample for us?

Yeah, sounds pretty stinking heavy dude. I think if you dropped some nice gritty bass in there, it would sound massive. I don't think you need to change much about the guitar tone, if anything it would just sound nice to have a much more airtight performance with the double tracking. What are the kick and snare samples? I like the snare in particular...not too fat or too thin sounding, with a really nice smack to it.

Ah thanks Aaron! (I'm a huge fan of your work btw :D).

I really need to re-track them guitars and make them perfect, but yes I agree slapping a lil' gritty bass on that would really help the overall sound. I was thinking doing the bass through a dual rectifier and blending that with just a normal DI. Should make some neat sounds. I don't know, well see i guess :D

As far as the samples go, I don't remember off the top of my head what the kick sample is. But I'll find out. I do know its only like 30% blended with the original hmm....

The snare is a Blend of my own and another one I found on this forum. I would be more than happy to post it here next time. I really like how it sits in this mix.

Thanks for the input! :kickass:

Sounds promising! Good work :)

So Agile 8 string... what do you think about those guitars? I'm on the lookout for a new guitar. Starting to feel the need for something more than a standard 25,5" scale 6-string :) What's usually a "normal" tuning for an 8-string guitar when you play sort of like progressive/djenty music?

Sounds promising! Good work :)

So Agile 8 string... what do you think about those guitars? I'm on the lookout for a new guitar. Starting to feel the need for something more than a standard 25,5" scale 6-string :) What's usually a "normal" tuning for an 8-string guitar when you play sort of like progressive/djenty music?

Thanks!

Yes The agiles are very nice guitars for the price. (don't kill me for this) but I prefer them over the Ibanez's. I have played both the Ibanez 8 strings the 800 dollar one and the 2000 doller one and the Agile just feels better to me.

The only thing that I would suggest doing if you were to get one, is to swap out the pickups. Rock some Emg's or Blackouts, definatly puts the guitar on a new level.

As far as tuning goes. I just tune to standard, nothing fancy F# is low enough for me hahah :D

Cheers! (love your studio vids btw)