9/11 in 2006.... 5 years have passed and not much has changed

DE said:
But they are an inevitable result of a free market economy? How else would you restrict the existence of corporations without controlling the economy?

Corporations are a necessary evil in a free market, as governments are a necessary evil in society.

Way to read! I'm not saying that lobbyists support the public's interests, but rather that lobbyists are a logical result of a system where the public is able to air their greivances to the government. If the public in general is able to communicate with their government, lobbyists will be able to. There's no way to avoid it, and I prefer the existence of lobbyists to not having that method of communication.

You're trying to say that defense corporations exercise a level of control over the government that have allowed them to deliberately and maliciously perpetuate wars almost constantly for the last 50 years in order to sell more weapons, and then try to claim it's not a conspiracy theory? Are you serious?

I can't speak properly for the US media, because I don't live there, but here in the UK our media has been almost universally critical of Iraq, shows bodies all the time, reports all the worst incidents (maybe even to the detriment of positive stories) and frequently criticises the government. Even the state-funded media does this. I cannot imagine it being any different, and what I've seen of the US media supports this (see: Keith Olbermann's recent outbursts).

Err... good? I don't want a system where companies artificially bloat themselves, employing people unnecessarily, and I'm sure shareholders don't either.

I'd consider the tax breaks you're giving companies too little too late. How can you not see the massively obvious outcome of increased regulation and taxation? If you make it hard for companies to hire/fire workers and make it expensive for them to have a base in your country, the companies will not hesitate to piss off to another country. Having no companies--and as a result no jobs--in your country is much, much, much, much worse than giving tax breaks to companies.

And you think that the solution to companies upping and leaving because things are too expensive is to impose more restrictions and higher taxes on them? How exactly do you imagine this whacky scheme working?

No we're not living in the same country, so I guess there's the possibility that there is some magical governmental blanket of conspiracy over all US media outlets that has prevented them from revealing details about September 11th/Iraq. I really doubt it though, especially given the multitude of US sources I've seen over the last three years that have dispelled said myths.

ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS CONTENT WITH CORRUPTION AND LOVES IT AND HATES HAPPINESS

You're just using the same rhetoric as the government you profess to hate. You're acting like I really like corruption and want it to exist, which is quite frankly bollocks. I just think that the best check on corruption is to give the government very, very limited power and ensure that those limits remain in place. Whereas you "and others" seem to think that there would be some magical way of giving a government loads of power, expanding government power even further, and then somehow making sure that the government wouldn't abuse said power.

I'll post a lenghty post in a few hours--I need to get some work done here.

But I will point out the obvious: you're British, and Im a Yank. Knowing this, changes a great deal of our rather superficial argument.

speed said:
But I will point out the obvious: you're British, and Im a Yank. Knowing this, changes a great deal of our rather superficial argument.

What does it change :/

DE said:
But they are an inevitable result of a free market economy? How else would you restrict the existence of corporations without controlling the economy?

Corporations are a necessary evil in a free market, as governments are a necessary evil in society.

Way to read! I'm not saying that lobbyists support the public's interests, but rather that lobbyists are a logical result of a system where the public is able to air their greivances to the government. If the public in general is able to communicate with their government, lobbyists will be able to. There's no way to avoid it, and I prefer the existence of lobbyists to not having that method of communication.

You're trying to say that defense corporations exercise a level of control over the government that have allowed them to deliberately and maliciously perpetuate wars almost constantly for the last 50 years in order to sell more weapons, and then try to claim it's not a conspiracy theory? Are you serious?

I can't speak properly for the US media, because I don't live there, but here in the UK our media has been almost universally critical of Iraq, shows bodies all the time, reports all the worst incidents (maybe even to the detriment of positive stories) and frequently criticises the government. Even the state-funded media does this. I cannot imagine it being any different, and what I've seen of the US media supports this (see: Keith Olbermann's recent outbursts).

Err... good? I don't want a system where companies artificially bloat themselves, employing people unnecessarily, and I'm sure shareholders don't either.

I'd consider the tax breaks you're giving companies too little too late. How can you not see the massively obvious outcome of increased regulation and taxation? If you make it hard for companies to hire/fire workers and make it expensive for them to have a base in your country, the companies will not hesitate to piss off to another country. Having no companies--and as a result no jobs--in your country is much, much, much, much worse than giving tax breaks to companies.

And you think that the solution to companies upping and leaving because things are too expensive is to impose more restrictions and higher taxes on them? How exactly do you imagine this whacky scheme working?

No we're not living in the same country, so I guess there's the possibility that there is some magical governmental blanket of conspiracy over all US media outlets that has prevented them from revealing details about September 11th/Iraq. I really doubt it though, especially given the multitude of US sources I've seen over the last three years that have dispelled said myths.

ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS CONTENT WITH CORRUPTION AND LOVES IT AND HATES HAPPINESS

You're just using the same rhetoric as the government you profess to hate. You're acting like I really like corruption and want it to exist, which is quite frankly bollocks. I just think that the best check on corruption is to give the government very, very limited power and ensure that those limits remain in place. Whereas you "and others" seem to think that there would be some magical way of giving a government loads of power, expanding government power even further, and then somehow making sure that the government wouldn't abuse said power.

Ok.

I stated things are much different because your a brit, and Im a yank (as you call us) right? Well, all of your comments on the media are through a British lens. I started watching the BBC and reading the Times and the Guardian to get my news on the world! Thats how skewed American media is. Keith Olberman is the only consistent liberal-style corruption based commentator on in the U.S. The McLaughlin report is pretty striaghtforward as well. However, if you read a U.S. paper (besides the NY Times--in addition, all other papers get their world and national news of the AP or Reuters wire service--same articles in every paper) or watch any U.S. t.v. news program, you'd see immediately how sanitized our news is. This is perhaps because our news is using information given to it by the Pentagon, White House, and because almost the entirety of our news services are owned by seven large corporate conglomerates.

As for corporations. Adam Smith did not trust large corporations, and thought they ruined capitalism and became corrupt. He believed there must be a number of competitors. This has been lost in our current climate. How does one fix it? Frankly, I dont know. I do know it was the intention of the Fed and Greenspan to create super-corporations, corporations that are so large, they can withstand economic crises, and compete with anyone on a increasingly liberalized and open world market. He's quoted as saying this when he stepped down--it was one of his enduring legacies he thought.

The problem with the tax breaks, is that companies are scheming through lobbyists and donations to get them, and instead of reinvesting their higer profits into wages, labor, R and D, and new capital, they are passing on the profits to stockholders. In essence, middle class and lower middle class Americans are supporting wealthy stockholders (although the smart ones who've invested in the stock market, have benefitted quite well).

I never said anything about imposing restrictions on companies for labor or outsourcing--you implied this. With the globalized market today, and the poorly trained technical American workforce, this would be impossible. I see it as a irreversable trend. We never should have taught the rest of the world our secrets; this with the greed of capitalism by shaving money off labor costs, will ultimately lead to some major economic problems for the average Western worker. It already is happening.

Your'e being dismissive about corruption. You brushed it aside as being perpetual and unimportant. Now we know historically this is untrue. When corruption increase, states fall. Athens, Rome, the Caliphate, Chinese, Ottomans, French, British, even the Soviets, and now us (America).

DE said:
What does it change :/

An American man writing to a British man has to be excessively formal, or the British man assumes he's a fellow homosexual and seduces him. Americans, desperately afraid of saying something that would offend a special interest group, often go along with homosexual seductions and gang rape to avoid being seen as biased.