A bass technique question.

TrueBeliever

michael
Jun 8, 2002
london
My friend is just starting bass and he uses a pick. It would seem to me that after a certain point he would not be able to go as fast as he could with just fingers. But I am not sure, which is why I am asking. He is still at the point where he could use either method.

Originally posted by HippieOfDoom
Don't stick to one technique; but master all techniques.

Yes little one...
Be wise...
Practice like the wind...
Let your left hand fingers walk throught the neck like a small spider: gentle, but with accuracy and precision...
Never let your anger fall over your right hand finger picking...
Follow the Tai-Chi rules: Transform the resistence of the string in a strong and Smooth Slap...

Ps: I do it! I can pick as slow as I can do finger picking. This is the way of the Slug.:D

uh what "usually" happens when you play with your fingers is that you forget how to use a pick (or never knew how to use one in the first place) so listen to Steve and tell him to use both. Its best to do things right from the begging. but who I'm I to give advice....

Originally posted by Charlotte the Harlot
uh what "usually" happens when you play with your fingers is that you forget how to use a pick (or never knew how to use one in the first place) so listen to Steve and tell him to use both. Its best to do things right from the begging. but who I'm I to give advice....

I used to play guitar, so I have a good and fast enough picking speed, so when I practice with the bass I use the fingers to develop the tecnique, and when playing for real, I use a pick to keep the tecnique I still have.

Yeah, I'm a guitarist who's currently in a melodic DM band, and I have to play with a pick.... My fret hand technique is pretty good, but when I start playing fingers, it's all over with. :mad:

And I try to practice, but the tempo and complexity is so tough, I just can't hang.