right hand finger technique

G

George Litany

Hi, I'd like to ask something regarding right hand technique. There's something that i have beed doing the past 2-3 years and it just came to me without practice.. When i have to play over a fast blastbeat or a really complicated line, i sort of usemy index finger from both sides. So every movement practically generates two strokes of the string. At first the strokes where uneven, but i practiced so it noi sounds almost perfect. I also practiced the same technique with the middle finger and I now feel like i have 2 picks :) I considered this cheating for a long time, until i saw the roadrunner dvd where steve seems to use the same technique during a blastbeat, but using both index and middle fingers simultanaeously. Am i right? Is this a common technique, and if so, are there any instructional videos? Thanks!

If it works for you, consider it a common technique. It's also close to people using their thumb that way. Look at Vic Wooten who does the slapping with a "double thumb".

I developed the exact same technique. The only trouble is that for me there is a slight difference in tone on the out strokes. But I think if you have the technique down, use it. I use my ring finger a lot too, but more in the traditional sense. I haven't really trained myself to use it for an upstroke at this stage though.

That sounds interesting. I quit playing for a a while and my right hand became retarted so I use a pick for now. I have been slowly training with my right hand with exercises. The bass I have now has more strings than I'm used to so I dont know exactaly where to anchor my thumb. I've been trying different things like resting my forearm on the body top and hooking my hand in a little. Still not sure yet. I'm working on it.

It gives me many possibilities. I can play complicated lines that otherwise i wouldn't be able to do. One example is the song titanomakhia of Wrathblade www.myspace.com/wrathblade but this is a low quality mp3 and the you can't hear the bass guitar very well.. As for the sound, i've found that a more clicky sound compliments the upstroke.