Need Help

Eternal_Frost

Mar 24, 2004
Nanaimo , BC Canada
Ok this weekend im going to jam with some friends of mine that play in a technical death metal band , kinda in the vein of Necrophagist/Death. Im really good at playing fast speeds with a pick , but I would much rather use my fingers , mainly because it feels more natural . Ive tried to develop my own " Version" of the 3 finger technique ( i even used a Steve DiGiorgio lesson) , but its not really working. So this is what ive been practicing to get my fingers able to play 16th and 32nd notes.....

i = index finger
m = middle finger
r = ring finger

G|---------------------------
D|---------------------------
A|---------------------------
E|-- 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 --------
i m r m i m r m etc...

If you guys have any suggestions on how to improve my speed , or just correct me if im doing something wrong , it would be greatly appreciated.
-Dan :headbang:

how about:

r m i r m i r m i r m i etc...
?

Nah, if you do that it's very easy to wind up in a triplet feel, and lose the rhythm of the song. However, when I do it, I like to start off with ring finger. At the same time, I'm also trying it and finding it very hard to become good at. I guess we just both need to practice more. Another thing I've been trying, that doesn't work too wonderfully either, is hitting the strings twice with each finger - two fingers, but going down and coming up I hit the string. Doubles the notes, wouldn't recommend, but as for a quick fix I'd try it. Good job though. Pick is definetly the gayer solution and should not be used.

when is steve going to come out with an instructional dvd? all us fingerpicking metal bassist would buy it. come on hippie, at least think it over.

Picking with both side of your finger can be used to great affect if you realise that different tones will be produced from either side of the finger.
Getting that very hard sound that comes from the nails side of the finger can really help to define.
I use three fingers for normal playing but when needs be i can use all 5, but that’s only when playing certain things that two different parts played at the same time in the same way that a classical guitar is played. Learning the techniques that classical guitarists use can help greatly with speed and strength as well as open up many more possibilities when it comes to writing an interesting bass line.

mll666 said:
how about:

r m i r m i r m i r m i etc...
?

This is the method I use when playing with three. I'm still having difficulty pulling off the three finger attack on the first 3 strings. Two is easy, three is not. I never use a pick, so I completely rule that out when trying to play very fast technical stuff.

Before any of that buy a metronome, set it at about 40 bpm to start off with then it will put you in good sted when i comes to timing