Steve, your advice on "arm pump" please

Jul 2, 2007
i play bass with 3 fingers, and 95% of the time i am playing the same speed as the guitar riffs, much like you except you are better, more creative, and, well, your Steve DiGiorgio!

anyways, by the end of songs, especially when i play live (since i work harder) my wrist and finger joints are on fire! some people say it is due to buildup of lactic acid in the muscle which is normal

what do you do to minimize this or prevent it?

when using three fingueres you have do curtain exercisess and warm up before your gonna play something physicaly demanding on your hand. i use three fingers but when i play fast i stretch my hand a lot. then your really loose and ready to shred

I have no idea man. I have been playing for so many years that I don't get anything like that anymore. Back when I was younger I remember I would bunge up if I didn't warm up before the show, or drink enough. So depending on your preference...either drink more, warm up earlier, or just keep roughing it out until you get as old as me. Maybe by the year 2113 for you...!

SDG

Maybe You didnt drink enough after all:) in my situation when couple of bottles goes in the way -no matter.Just play!too much thinking about what youre about to play gets you far away from what youre actually playing and - as a result- mistakes are being made:) really.Doublechecked it(especially drink-enough option:)

warm up! warm up! i have casts cause my wrists suck plus maybe it's the angle your wrist is at when fretting or how low you hold the bass down when you play, your joints can only take so much pressure at an awkward angle. now i play with the bass very high up near my chest and try to hold the neck closer inwards towards my body, it's much more comfortable. before your wrists get fukked up learn from my mistakes, your wrist muscles gotta stay relaxed so make sure youre breathing is controlled too, otherwise youll tense up and probably fuck up too

im actually much better now as far as durability. i probably built a tolerance to it, or the tendons/muscles got stronger and more resilliant.

welli pulled a muscle inbetween my index and thumb, so it was a bitch going to c string (or g in standard tuning) for the strech, b/c i anchor my thumb on the neck pickup, but that didnt happen from playing too hard, i moved my hand the wrong way