A couple broad mixing questions.

Executioner213

Ultimate Meatbag
Sep 2, 2001
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
1.) We've had "what do you pan tracks to threads"...how about...

What levels do you set things at? How much louder do you make guitars over bass, etc. This is all assuming you have your tones and stuff. I know it is subjective, but I know some people have a formula for how they do it every time. EQ can change all of it, but Im still interested to see.

2.) For those that use Multi band compressors, what kind of settings do you put on cymbals/oh's?

I'm just trying to get compare/contrast responses to see if I'm even going in the right direction with these things.

1.) We've had "what do you pan tracks to threads"...how about...

What levels do you set things at? How much louder do you make guitars over bass, etc. This is all assuming you have your tones and stuff. I know it is subjective, but I know some people have a formula for how they do it every time. EQ can change all of it, but Im still interested to see.

2.) For those that use Multi band compressors, what kind of settings do you put on cymbals/oh's?

I'm just trying to get compare/contrast responses to see if I'm even going in the right direction with these things.

1) I try to leave the kick at 0db. Everything else will move most likely.
The bass has a relationship with the OHs, but that's my secret ;)

I do use a lot of Aux channels and parallel processing, mixed pretty low.

2) I don't. EQ and standard compression (maybe multiple instances) is all I need, I've never got a sound that I like out of multiband compression.
For OHs, EQ wise, they have nothing below 500 (usually) - so I'm just boosting 15K upwards.

i was just about to post a thread similar to this one. good thing i checked...

i recently posted a tune up in 'Rate My Mix/Tone'. someone was kind enough to impart this information which since has proved to be pretty accurate...for "most" situations. he noted that at the time. it's not 100% all the time.

a good start, by matching these levels:

kick and bass
snare and guitars

furthermore, i found using an RMS value for matching produces the best result.

here's my question (if i may). what instrument(s) do people level the vocals with? must be at least even with the snare or a db or two over....???

If there's something the crusty old folks that post at Recording.org taught me (besides the fact that the majority of their community is completely prejudiced towards any form of heavy music,) it's that you should USE YOUR DAMN EARS!
Don't rely on faders and numbers.
You can mix something by looking at faders all you like, but if you don't like what you're hearing, then whats the point?

If there's something the crusty old folks that post at Recording.org taught me (besides the fact that the majority of their community is completely prejudiced towards any form of heavy music,) it's that you should USE YOUR DAMN EARS!
Don't rely on faders and numbers.
You can mix something by looking at faders all you like, but if you don't like what you're hearing, then whats the point?

i agree ears are important and that's why i specifically noted "a good start" and "it's not 100% all the time" in my post.

i can't speak for the original poster of this thread, but my comments were geared toward the use of a 'starting point' to get the ball rolling. i've found the 'equation' noted above to be pretty damn close across the board for MY recordings.

i don't think there's anything wrong at all with a generic equation to get things started. what you do after that is another story. in fact, i think it's a great tool for those of us who don't mix for a living and don't yet trust our ears 100%.

i agree ears are important and that's why i specifically noted "a good start" and "it's not 100% all the time" in my post.

i can't speak for the original poster of this thread, but my comments were geared toward the use of a 'starting point' to get the ball rolling. i've found the 'equation' noted above to be pretty damn close across the board for MY recordings.

i don't think there's anything wrong at all with a generic equation to get things started. what you do after that is another story. in fact, i think it's a great tool for those of us who don't mix for a living and don't yet trust our ears 100%.

Fair point. I've had about 3 hours sleep as usual and I'm not reading shit properly haha.

exocutioner123 -- I used to ask the same thing and always got the same answer: "use your ears." It didn't make sense what they were saying then, but it does now. There's no secret. You just got to keep doing it over and over and eventually your mixes will generally sound better.

Your best bet is to mix it then listen the next day and compare it to other cd's you like and then adjust appropriately. HTH.

Technically, if you are tracking correctly, your mix should already be in the ballpark (i.e. "starting point") as soon as your done tracking.

Pan + a db or two on the channel faders, should have it sounding pretty badass already.

Everything else is just "seasoning" to taste, or style for that matter.

This should always be done by ear.

One good thing that i've learned and applied recently is that when you turn down a mix all the way, the last things you should be hearing are snare and vocals. (<--- they should be the loudest)

exocutioner123 -- I used to ask the same thing and always got the same answer: "use your ears." It didn't make sense what they were saying then, but it does now. There's no secret. You just got to keep doing it over and over and eventually your mixes will generally sound better.

Your best bet is to mix it then listen the next day and compare it to other cd's you like and then adjust appropriately. HTH.

I'm really only asking because all I have to really reference my mixes off of are:
Extreme Isolation Headphones
Shitty KOSS Headphones
Skullcandy Earbuds
The stereo in my car
A small boombox
Small (3 inch) Phillips speakers

I don't have anything resembling monitors yet, so I feel like I'm in a rut and having a hard time getting things smooth. I've been working on the same mix for over 2 months and, though mostly due to my schedule, going back and burning another disc to play on all this shit is getting old, and I'd like to circumvent that next time around.

I guess another way to ask this is: does anyone, barring differences in eq/compression/etc, try to make sure things peak at certain points to make them gel better?

BTW...it's 213 (not 123), as in Jeffrey Dahmer's apartment #...and the Slayer song off Divine Intervention. :p I know it doesn't really matter, but you know....