circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
A Day to Remember – And Their Name Was Treason
Indianola Records – IND1024 – 2005
By Jason Jordan

IND1024-150.gif

I’m a non-violent person by nature, but interacting with emo kids in their native environment(s) brings out the sadistic, malevolent tendencies in me. However, I can deal with emo when it’s SUCCESSFULLY coupled with metalcore, or any other subgenre that has to do with metal. A Day to Remember – yet another group to incorporate the word “day”– starts out on the right foot, but trips shortly afterward due to a number of (seemingly) unavoidable obstructions.

And Their Name Was Treason has ten songs, and lasts for roughly thirty minutes. Overall, a brief release that commences with an excellent introduction, which is referred to simply as “Intro.” The aforesaid closes with Wake up / I’ve been watching you in spoken-word form, before segueing into the growl-led “Heartless.” It’s a transition that’ll startle you, but is cool in hindsight. Unfortunately, clean vocals in the vein of Saves the Day (or so I’m told) plague A Day to Remember’s sound. Honestly, the emo-tinged beginning of “Your Way with Words is Through Silence” is sickening, though the metalcore parts of And Their Name Was Treason are average-yet-alluring. “A Second Glance” begins with instrumentation that recalls the most recent output from Underoath in They’re Only Chasing Safety. And, “You Had Me at Hello” is the absolute peak of cliché lyricism and banal singing, which is thankfully relieved by the superior “1958.”

As if you couldn’t make it out from my words, the clean vocals drag this emocore record under the water. Consequently, And Their Name Was Treason, though it possesses scant characteristics of quality, drowns under its own weight. A Day to Remember is a band I’ll surely forget because – at this point – they’re just too whiny and commonplace to warrant notice. No hard feelings, though.

6/10

Official A Day to Remember Website
Official Indianola Records Website