A Day To Remember Cover-Critiquing Please

selke61

Music Producing Ginger
Jan 25, 2011
I'm not quite sure this is the right place to showcase work, but I'll give it a shot. If not, redirect me, thanks. :D

This is a song called "The Plot to Bomb the Panhandle" by A Day To Remember that I covered. Now, before you go AWOL because you hate the band, let me tell you, I don't care what you think of the band. I would like people to take a listen and tell me their thoughts and to give me some advice on the song's quality. NOT AN ASSWHOOPING, just some useful constructive criticism. I've seen many hostile people on this site, but then again there are tons of 'newbz'.

I recorded guitars using PodFarm and programmed the drums myself. The song does not have vocals or bass yet. I didn't have a bass at hand. I used Cubase 5 as my DAW. Thanks for checking it out! :wave:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is another cover that I did today. Took me 10 hours to record haha. Put a lot work into this one. No vocals yet again, however, there is bass. So bass, drums and guitars. Let me know what you think!

Song: Start the Shooting
Band: A Day to Remember

Hmm, pretty decent man. Drums need alot of work, what are you using to program them? Kick has little to no punch, and snare needs to be more up front. Could use a little bit of lowering the mids on the guitars too. And turn the bass up! Your giving my subwoofer and easy workout (;

Thanks guys. I'll keep the tips in mind.

I use Beatcraft to program. It's actually a great program.

Bass and vocals will be added, and bass will defiantly be cranked more. I was just afraid to overpower the guitars, but it makes sense to lower the mids so that all of it sits in the mix nicely.

Thanks much guys! :headbang:

No problem! :kickass: I'd definitely invest in a different drum program though, I don't know much about beatcraft but from the sound of it there's plenty better programs out there.

No problem! :kickass: I'd definitely invest in a different drum program though, I don't know much about beatcraft but from the sound of it there's plenty better programs out there.

IYO, what do you think should change about the drums? I may be able to do it with Beatcraft for now until I do invest in a new one. I know about velocity, which I do try my best to change in the snare for sure, but I'm so damn lazy I dont care about the rest haha. :Smug: It's hard enough to build drums from the ground up!

laztness isnt gonna get your mixes sounding good ma, just a pointer ;) haha

Yeah haha true. I shouldn't of said that. I was the opposite of lazy. Spent 6 hours programming them.

But are you saying my mix doesn't sound good? I mean, yeah they could use work, but they can't be that bad. :erk:

i use beatcraft too, and i think it works quite well for me, each track has vst ability and its capable of 16th note tripplets by simply adding them, unlike alot of programs where you have to do some crazy garbage to get 16rth note tripplets :) haha great cover bro! i love the tone! and while the drums could use a bit of mixing all in all it is a good mix :) check out the original i posted a couple of min ago : ) tell me what you think :)

i thought i was the only one using beatcraft. im diggin it though. i like that snare as well, couldnt possibly share it could you? :p

i also praise how you covered songs from their better album.

also, on some of the snare rolls, its sounding more like a crescendo, try using higher velocities for the earlier snare hits so its not as "build up" like, if that makes any sense haha

You'll like this bro haha i did it all
advice with guitars would be to turn drive down a little : chugs sound a bit driven but it's great man keep it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTdmAkMg-LQ

Thank man I appreciate it and I feel the guitars are a little over driven as well.

You're cover is awesome! How the hell do you get the acapella? I'm trying to strip the vocals from their songs but I don't know how!:loco:

i use beatcraft too, and i think it works quite well for me, each track has vst ability and its capable of 16th note tripplets by simply adding them, unlike alot of programs where you have to do some crazy garbage to get 16rth note tripplets :) haha great cover bro! i love the tone! and while the drums could use a bit of mixing all in all it is a good mix :) check out the original i posted a couple of min ago : ) tell me what you think :)

I love Beatcraft. Very quick and resourceful.

I definitely need to mix the drums better, but you should of heard my first mixes! I'm progressing and I feel they are listenable, for now. I'll check out your song and let you know what I think on there.

i thought i was the only one using beatcraft. im diggin it though. i like that snare as well, couldnt possibly share it could you? :p

i also praise how you covered songs from their better album.

I love old ADTR. New stuff is meh. I wish I could share the snare, but I bought the sample from Joey Sturgis, therefore, I can not distribute it. Can't put the Sturgis out of business! :yow:

also, on some of the snare rolls, its sounding more like a crescendo, try using higher velocities for the earlier snare hits so its not as "build up" like, if that makes any sense haha

I get exactly what you mean. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for listening! :kickass:

Revised it just a tad bit.

Gave the guitars a low pass around 8khz.

Bass is cranked and ballsy.

The kick still needs more punchiness, but it's there and the snare was giving more mid.